PDA

View Full Version : Help a newbie with a red Porsche

vjd3
06-24-2002, 09:54 PM
Hi, folks:

I recently bought a 1995 Porsche 911 C4 coupe. It`s guards red with a tan (cashmere) interior and just turned 42k miles on the clock.

The car is nice, with original paint, but it`s been a bit neglected. There are numerous fine scratches and visible swirl marks. I`d like to spend some time this weekend and really work on the paint.

I have never used an orbital polisher but I`m interested in getting one. I`d like some input on which model to buy, and what I need to get as far as pads for applying and removing products.

I have some of the Zaino products but have never used them (Z1, Z2, Z5 and Z6) plus their car wash. But I`m wondering what I should do as far as existing scratches and swirls first. And the paint feels pretty rough to the touch, so I`m guessing a claybar would be a good place to start.

Don`t get me wrong -- from three feet away the Porsche looks tremendous, but up close I can really see where it needs some TLC -- too many washes and details at the dealer, I guess.

Any thoughts, lists,steps, etc. appreciated, and also some tips on where I can buy these products (including the PC) locally at a reasonable price. I livein the Boston area (South Shore).

Thanks,

Vic

http://home.attbi.com/~vjd3/c4.jpg

imported_dl9589
06-24-2002, 10:09 PM
I know you can pick up a Porter Cable at a local Lowes store around here...and I`d imagine around there. Most popular is 7336. CMA offers a kit for it too, which is a good place to start for getting your pads.

As far as getting it looking good...do a Dawn wash to remove any old wax that may be on the car. Then take a clay bar to it, to remove any of the contaminents that may be on the car....some people will recommend doing another Dawn wash after claying the car. As far as the swirl marks and whatnot, the popular brand on here seems to be the 3M SMR, applied with the PC. Then just continue with the proper Zaino products, if that`s the route you choose to go.

**edit** Great look Porsche by the way!!!!:bow

imported_dl9589
06-24-2002, 10:11 PM
You may also want to download the Autopia book. And read about proper car care. How to wash and take care of your car without introducing any new swirls or scratches.

imported_BretFraz
06-24-2002, 10:18 PM
I agree that you should consider purchasing Autopia`s e-book, Autopia Guide to Detailing. A new version was just released the other day so its the most up-to-date info available. Check it out at www.autopia-carcare.com .

As for polishers, there is a ton of info here about them. Spend some time searching the archives as there is detailed info on what to buy, where to buy it, and how to use it.

And then there`s Zaino which is always a popular topic here. More than enough info on it to satisfy even the most neurotic fraidy cat. You`ll probably gag on all the Zaino posts.

Have fun searching and reading. There`s lots to learn here.

Bobby G
06-24-2002, 10:48 PM
Besides... I`m a Porsche-freak and you`ll see lots of cool shots of a few of my 911s.

:rolleyes:

Did I mention that I love red?

Cheers!

db

FocusRun
06-24-2002, 10:49 PM
Oh man.... that car..... I can`t feel my legs...

Hey post some pics after you`re done detailing it:)

jmdlat
06-24-2002, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by DavidB

Besides... I`m a Porsche-freak and you`ll see lots of cool shots of a few of my 911s.

:rolleyes:

Did I mention that I love red?

Cheers!

db

Yea, me too. You ll see many pictures of my freshly detailed black 911, my yellow BMW M3, my red Firebird Trans Am and my Hummer. If you are lucky, maybe you`ll see my Escalade with 4 TVs and 10 subs with bling blingin chrome rims.

Just don`t count on it this century ;)