PDA

View Full Version : Machine Pad Recommendation?

We're Here
06-24-2002, 06:46 PM
I`m wondering if any one Autopian has used 6" Velcro pads by Lake Country, Meguiar`s, 3M (or others) and, if so, which they preferred for medium swirls and finer work. I`d like to find a single pad for the PC for the type of work mentioned. I must admit I am intrigued with the 3M convoluted foam pads but I`d love to hear an opinion from any Autopian who has used them and the others mentioned. I found quite a bit of interesting anecdotal opinion with a puterbum thread going back to February but little by way of direct comparison. Thanks ... Alan

scottybob1
06-24-2002, 09:42 PM
I`ve used the pads you can purchase from Classic (the yellow, gray, white, and wool). Recently, I purchased a few of the pads from Griot`s Garage and really liked the results. A few weeks ago, I colored sanded the hood of one of my honda and attempted to bring back the shine using my PC and supply of pads from Classic. After several hours of buffing, i still had fine sanding marks. After I got the Griot`s orange pad for machine polish, the fine sanding marks came out with ease. Used the red pad for waxing the finished product. I like the Groits orange for polish, and red for wax....that`s all you need.

We're Here
06-26-2002, 07:41 PM
... anyone?

shirtman
06-27-2002, 07:50 PM
I too like the orange polish and red wax pads from Griots. Seem to produce a very reliable result, and are easily cleaned. Just my 2 cents.

Jeff

forrest@mothers
06-27-2002, 07:53 PM
I have the Lake Country yellow, white and black pads. I also have lots of the 3M glazing waffle pads.

The 3M pads are very soft, and have little cutting action to them, even when used with an aggressive product. Yellow is great for cutting, and white for finishing it off. Then, the black or 3M waffle for the final glazing pass.

One pad won`t do it all - each has its own purpose.

For medium swirls and finer, it will depend on the product you`re using. Most likely, it`ll be the white pad and then the black. If the polish is really mild, you may need the yellow pad to make it work properly, before the white and black.