PDA

View Full Version : MF applicator pads

Blackmirror
06-24-2002, 04:57 PM
I noticed after repeated use and washing and drying it out, the MF fibers look separated and I can see the inner lining where the fibers attach to. Has anyone experienced this with their MF applicators?

imported_Intermezzo
06-24-2002, 05:13 PM
Yup. I noticed that as well. I also noticed that after using them for a few panels, they didn`t look too smooth. For this reason, I stick with foam apps.

Blackmirror
06-24-2002, 05:38 PM
Is it better to use foam to apply AIO and SG?

imported_Intermezzo
06-24-2002, 05:42 PM
Blackmirror,

It`s just my personal PREFERENCE to use foam for everything, including AIO & SG. A lot of people here use MF applicators with great results. I don`t think you can go wrong with either kind.....I just feel more comfortable with foam.

Brad B
06-24-2002, 06:46 PM
I prefer foam as well!

http://fototime.com/19362D49AA2AC45/standard.jpg

couch16
06-24-2002, 07:03 PM
I`ve never used foam applicators. They all look and feel too hard and scratchy to use on the car. Right now I`m using Viper MF applicators. They`re really soft and I love them.

There are two kinds of foam. The first kind seems like it`s the kind of packing material you`d find inside a custom tool or gun case. It has lots of large holes.

The second kind is the one pictured on the left hand side of Brad B.`s post. It has lots of very small holes.

Am I worried over nothing? Has anyone here experienced scratches from either type of foam applicators?

Blackmirror
06-24-2002, 07:06 PM
I`d like to try foam with AIO and SG. I would also like to know if anyone experienced scratches with foam

ALAN81
06-24-2002, 07:27 PM
MEGUIARS foam apps stink they are too small for my hand.The foam app that comes with P21S is even smaller.I found a few bigger foam apps from GRIOTS garage that are bigger and softer.BLITZ comes with a nice foam app.Souvern comes with a nice big soft app

imported_Tony
06-24-2002, 08:30 PM
I love my mf applicator pads. Still works good after one year. Ain`t going to give them up. Works great with klasse. Foam has its place, but Klasse with mf are my choice!

Only use my mf applicator with Klasse!

Blackmirror
06-25-2002, 09:44 PM
I got some Viking foam pads today for AIO and SG. its a nice big foam pad. The top has a good holding surface for your hand and the bottom part is flat so you can polish/wax right next to the trim. $2 per pad.

samiam513
06-25-2002, 09:53 PM
black mirror, I got some of those today too. Where did you get yours? Mine came strtaight from a Viking Rep. These things are top quality!

imported_Intermezzo
06-26-2002, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Blackmirror

I got some Viking foam pads today for AIO and SG. its a nice big foam pad. The top has a good holding surface for your hand and the bottom part is flat so you can polish/wax right next to the trim. $2 per pad.

Black,

Those work perfectly for AIO and SG and last forever too!

NattyBumppo
06-26-2002, 10:36 AM
A few months ago I purchased two of the Eagle One Express-IT foam applicators from CMA. They are the ones with the nice formed plastic grip on top that is contoured for your hand....great idea and they are very comfortable. The problem is the first time I wanted to use one I quickly discovered that they are too large to fit into any wax container I`ve ever used. :confused: They would be great for liquid wax but useless for paste. I suppose you could use a small putty knife or something to dab wax onto the applicator but when I`ve done with with my orbital I find you waste a ton of product.

I`ll keep them around if I ever try Liquid Souveran.

dlw
06-27-2002, 09:04 AM
I use the Viking foam applicators because of the built-in handle and they let me get a very good, thin, even coat of Zaino Z2/Z5. They also seem to last forever. The only problem I have is cleaning them. No matter what I do, they seem to be full of white powdered polish when they dry. I wash in Dawn immediately after use, and wring them out till my hands hurt. I`ve even tried using my air compressor to get the powder out, and just can`t seem to get the pad to not leave a little powder on the car after the next use. Anybody got any suggestions (other than to go back to terry applicators, which I don`t like)?

imported_Intermezzo
06-27-2002, 09:33 AM
When using Zaino fed with ZFX, I normally do a quick hand-wash with alcohol and Tide to get the bulk of the product out. Then I usually soak them in a bucket full of water with several squirts of Dawn for an entire week (or until I need to use them again) and rinse them out the night before I plan to detail. This is the only major downside to ZFX. The applicators become a MAJOR PITA to clean.