PDA

View Full Version : Z5_ It worked

buldog
06-23-2002, 07:43 PM
I had my doubts when buying Z5. Needed to fill in some of these very fine scratches that I tried never to put in.

I was so careful over the last 3 mths in washing and drying not to scratch, But they came, very minor & mainly on the hood so I thought, try it.

It was about 90 deg here today and started off washing the 2 cars and applied a 2nd coat of Z2 to the Grand Am.

Then it was time to try the Z5 on the dark blue GTP.

Only after 1 coat many, no most of the scratches can`t be seen. Wanted to apply more but it was just to hot and the humidity was high and it was taking longer to dry.

Can`t tell for sure until I get bright sunshine again but IMO the car looks better. Maybe because it is the 4th layer of Z or the Z5 does look better on dark cars.

06-23-2002, 08:19 PM
wow, with my limited use of Zaino and Z5, I experienced virtually no swirl filling abilities. Klasse SG blows Zaino away in this aspect imo.

buldog
06-23-2002, 08:23 PM
Al, I just went out to the garage to take another look.

Brought out the halogen and with that I did see some additional scratches. Glad the sun does`nt shine the same way. Maybe I have to give SG a try on the minivan that is in a little worse condition.

06-23-2002, 08:34 PM
well don`t expect much miracles from filling products such as Z5 and SG. They are both meant to fill minor minor swirls, I feel that SG fills a little heavier swirls than the Z5. But neither of these products should be your main contendor for diminishing the appearance of swirls, because if it is you will be very dissapointed. You must heavily polish the car first and then any minor swirling left over is likely to be filled in by the Z5 or SG(more likely by the SG imo).

Dave N
06-23-2002, 09:01 PM
I didn`t notice much swirl-filling from Z5, even after 4 coats on the front half of my truck. The rear half, done with Blackfire 2 months ago, has about the same amount of swirls, if not less.

40thgto
06-26-2002, 12:42 AM
Dave N. or anyone with knowledge,

So what your saying is you experienced better swirl removal with the Blackfire? Z5 did nothing for filling in minor swirls, when I used the product. This is a problem. Here`s my dilema: I want to use 3M PI-III to eliminate the swirls. Then polish my car once every 1-2 months to maintain an awesome shine, and a swirl-free finish. Therefore, durability is not much of an issue. I was thinking of trying Blackfire. What do you think? The car is metallic Silver.

My steps:

1.) Clay (once a year)

2.) 3M PI-III machine polish (once a year)

3.) Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish (once a year)

4.) Blackfire All Finish Paint Protection (every 1-2 months) *Hopefully, this will remove the minor swirling from driving, washing, etc... Z5 couldn`t do the job for me, that`s why I`m going to try this system.

5.) Possibly Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax (What`s your opinion?) Will this product fill minor swirling? If so, I could apply this product instead of Blackfire All Finish Paint Protection once a month. Some people feel this is the ultimate shine.

6.) A mild car wash used once a week. Any suggestions?

*The car is driven 8 months out of the year. Stored winter months.

Thanks in advance.

Andre'
06-26-2002, 03:00 AM
Onerareviper I would stay with Zaino or try Klasse. On light colored vehicles IMO K and Z look brighter sharper and more brilliant than BF, they last longer too.

Paste Glaze does have one hell of a shine, but i would just remove the swirls with a good polish like PI-III than Z the thing.

BTW. Wash the car with Dawn after polishing and always befoer the first coat of Z.

Just my two cents.:)

imported_memnuts
06-26-2002, 07:32 AM
Z5 was never developed to fix swirls. Unfortunately, many interchange "marring" with swirl marks. Minor surface marring will be alleviated with several coats of Z5 but if the imperfection is truly a swirl mark or a deep surface indentation more prep is necessary. Z5 works wonderfully for me for those accidental marring that sometimes occurs with washing and dry. Anything greater then these problems are dealt with first with a SMR. I always top the Z5 with Z2. There is a gloss difference in appearance between Z2 and Z5. :D

There is no way around hard work when it comes to achieving that perfect finish. :wavey

MikeLS
06-26-2002, 07:11 PM
Z5 has worked great for me as well! I think it works best on very light surface marring that`s bound to occur on daily driving and subsequent washing. When any marring starts appearing on my finish, usually one quick coat of Z5 will do the trick and restore my paint to 99.9% perfection. I think many new Zaino users expect way to much out of Z5 IMHO. If you have actual "swirls" or more serious paint imperfections, Z5 will be very limited in its results, because it was never intended to be used for such work. There is absolutely NO substiture for paint prep if you want a flawless finish. AFTER you have your paint looking nearly flawless, Z5 is the cure towards keeping it looking that way. If anyone expects Z5 to restore a more damaged finish, you`re in for trouble...

:wavey

buldog
06-26-2002, 08:32 PM
This car, GTP is only 3 mths old. These fine scratches that are straight lines from bumper to windshield.

I applied the Z5 in a direction 90 deg. to theses lines figuring that they would fill better that way. I have difinitely noticed an improvement since applying. Yes of course there are still some but it is better. Will apply some more this weekend and report back.