PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Wooley!

dlw
06-23-2002, 07:15 PM
For several years, I`ve been using wheel brushes that I got from Advanced Auto parts stores called a Wooley Wheel Brush. The things are a plastic handle with a tapered wool covering that did a great job of not scratching the black paint on my Corvette`s Grand Sport wheels. All the new wheel brushes I`ve seen have been nylon bristle things that scare the "H" out of me for using on my expensive wheels. My last brush is about shot and I can`t find any more. I found a post on a Porche board that says he uses a "Wheel Woolie" from Pep boys. No Pep Boys in Nebraska, so I called several in surrounding states and not one of the guys I talked to had any clue or seemed to care enough to even check the shelves. Anybody got any ideas? Even a Pep Boys part number would be great. I`ve been known to take long road trips just to get a $5 item I can`t get in Omaha.

imported_doug
06-23-2002, 07:21 PM
Good to know. I have one of those OXO ergo handle brushes. It has nylon bristles - but what you can`t tell from the photos is that they`re split into many fine fibers at the ends - and it is actually very soft. I`ve been happy with it so far - but I have silver wheels. The black wheels will be the best test for sure.

Not sure if you`ve followed this in another thread, but I`ve been raving about the Calf. Car Duster which doesn`t seem to scratch my black Porsche, and someone recommended using a dedicated mini-duster on the wheels. I think it is probably a good idea - dust them with the brush before wiping or washing - and especially if you have a coat of wax on the wheels. the brake dust seems to come right off - and whatever doesn`t is so much less you`ll scratch the wheels less using whatever cleaning method you then try.

atravis149
06-24-2002, 11:26 AM
eom.:wavey

Chuckmotor
06-24-2002, 11:33 AM
I agree about those wheel woolies. I had been meaning to make a post about how much I like it, but you beat me to it. The only problem with them is their durability, but since they only cost a few bucks, I have no problem replacing them. In fact, I think they sell them at Wal-Mart.

imported_Dude
06-24-2002, 04:28 PM
dlw-

There are many Pep Boys in area (LA, CA). If they still carry the product, let me know how many you need. I can pick them up and ship them to you.

dlw
06-24-2002, 05:13 PM
Wow! As usual, Autopians to the rescue! I`ve been to every auto supply house in Omaha and have gotten the strangest looks when I say I`m looking for a Wooley Wheel Brush or Wheel Wooley! Dude, thanks for the offer, another Autopian from Denver PM`d me and is going to send me a few from Pep Boys out there (Darn, there goes my road trip!). I noticed Dude, that you have a Cherokee. My `98 has a black plastic grill with seven sections of fins about 1/2` apart and the Wooley brush is perfect for cleaning it! By the way ejant, the link you gave me is the exact one that put me on to Pep Boys (too bad the Pep Boys stores I called either were too lazy to look or just wanted to avoid having to ship a product out). Both stores in Wichita were totally unhelpful and basically told me that it would be way too much work to walk down the detailing aisle to see if they carried the brushes. Hope Pep Boys are actually a bit more helpful in person!

RobD
06-24-2002, 05:24 PM
I`ve been using one for the longest time, and it too is on its last leg. I bought mine at my local Pep Boys, but they no longer carry it. I don`t like the look of the others they have in stock either. I`ve tried Advance Auto Parts and others without luck. I actually only use it on the inside of the wheel (rim), I use a soft China Bristle paint brush for the outside. Prior to using the Wooley, I used a dedicated wash mit, it was much harder to maneuver and care for. Don`t laugh, but I loosely thought of trying to make my own! Maybe use the original handle and follow the pattern from the original wash head. I wish I could help, I need a new one myself, but I thought I`d share my enthusiasm for the product. That`s always the way with a good product - gone. :confused: RobD

dlw
06-24-2002, 05:42 PM
I did go to a Champion Auto parts store today and picked up a couple of "The Detailer`s Choice" brand 2 N 1 Dash Dusters. They have a small nylon bristle brush on one end but the other end had what looks like a small round California duster. (mfgr. Cat# 6340). Looks like it might work out, but I have serious doubts about the supposed "100% Cotton Mop strands" holding up to the Zaino Z7 car wash and scrubbing, although it does say to wash it in warm soapy water. I`ll keep you posted!

http://members.cox.net/dwaltz1/WheelBrush.jpg

RobD
06-24-2002, 10:01 PM
Hmmm.....interesting. I remember that product, but I haven`t seen it in stores lately. I probably wasn`t looking, but I will now. Nice find. :xyxthumbs RobD

PS: Not that it probably matters too much, but is that duster coated with paraffin wax like the CCD and mini CCD? If so, I`m thinking it may not work too well when used wet and with wheel cleaner. May leave a residue until the wax wears off.

pianomaf
03-01-2013, 10:48 AM
https://www.facebook.com/WheelWoolie

Just wanted to see if this is the product you are after. I do love my wheel woolies! :) I used them with the Sonax cleaner and ~ ~happy.

Accumulator
03-01-2013, 01:55 PM
Lots of people having good experiences with the Wheel Woolies these days!

On the brushes, keep an eye on `em and replace before it seems necessary; as they wear you`ll eventually wear down/out the flagged tips and then they`ll become scratch-machines.