PDA

View Full Version : Norton products and dry sanding?

oakcitycustoms
06-23-2002, 01:31 PM
OK I am going to post this in the pro`s forum too but...I was watching one of Speedvision`s shows yesterday..it was either Dream Car Garage or Two Guys Garage and they feuterd products by Norton used in a process called dry sanding, to be used if maybe one panel was repainted or if the finish was oxidized or orange peeled. Well in my case I have both and it bothers me to no end as I am a perfectionist when it comes to my truck. Well, I have looked and found no mention of norton products and haven`t been able to try my local body hsop supplier as they are closed but I am really interested in Norton`s products and dry sanding as the result was phenomanal. Any one know about either norton or the dry sanding process?

HellrotCi
06-23-2002, 02:33 PM
The Norton I`m fimilar with is a manufacturer or maybe a remarketer of sandpaper. If you`re serious about sanding your truck, you can get 1500/2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper, such as 3M, at auto supply stores and you`ll need to get a sanding block.

Did they say why you would dry sand the area instead of wet sanding?

If it was me, I`d think twice, no three times before sanding on my car. The clearcoat is pretty thin and it won`t take much sanding to get through to the base color.

oakcitycustoms
06-23-2002, 03:42 PM
They didn`t say exactly why the dry sanding was used I imagine because it is a less labor intensive process then wet sanding...basically you used 12 grit to start and then 2000 LIGHTLY over the area with a buffer. Then a 3 step proces was used..a paint cleaner.. a polish and then a sealant..the end result was spectacular which is why I was interested.

We're Here
06-25-2002, 03:28 AM
Norton was a successful local (to SE Massachusetts in the town of the same name) producer of abrasive products that has since been bought out by a mega-corp. In my boat building days, I used an awful lot of their open-coat aluminum oxide paper. Don`t remember a wetordry from them however. These days I can`t get an answer from their customer service people (if that unit really exists).

badb ... you need to know much more about this process than you do right now. I can assure you that if you start on your car with a 12 grit paper, your pant is irretrievably shot. One wouldn`t use a paper this course even if the intent were to strip the finish to the bare metal.

imported_jking
06-27-2002, 07:57 AM
Not too long ago in a mag - think it was Street Rod Builder (think????) and the article was about a guy repairing his just completed Firebird - that a neighbour backed into - he was doing it himself and as he neared the completion of the job he mentioned that he was going to use Meguiars new dry sanding system. I read this over and over to be sure - and having wet sanded many cars in the past and hating the mess but loving the results - I emailed Meg to enquire about it. Never happened before but I got no reply from them - with my time constraints I never had the time to follow up on this but I thought I would let you know what I saw. Maybe if someone had time they could follow up on this. I can tell you there are guys who have been dry sanding for some time - have seen the results on custom/street rod cars and it works too just like wet. As I see it - wet has no dust in the air but a temporary colour stain on the floor - dry has dust - take your choice. Just thought I let you know - if I get chance maybe follow it up myself since I did find the time to do this post, my first post in ages- MTS

oakcitycustoms
06-27-2002, 07:06 PM
sorry I meant to say 1200 grit sandpaper..cordless keyboard and if I type too fast it doesnt quite work right..I believe it went 1200 1800 and 2000 grit..lol I don`t know if a 12 grit sandpaper exists but I would never want to have to use such an abrasive product

imported_Intel486
06-27-2002, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by badblack99

I don`t know if a 12 grit sandpaper exists but I would never want to have to use such an abrasive product

I think for 12 girt you just glue a few piece of gravel to a piece of paper :D

Wet sanding will make the paper last longer. I`ve done dry sanding on powdercoating and wood before and the paper clogs up with crap and will sand unevenly.

Wet sanding also helps flush away the paint you are removing. I like wetsanding. Get yourself a california waterblade if you wetsand. You`ll wetsand an area with a sanding block and then use the waterblade to clear away to water to check your progress.