PDA

View Full Version : Do tar and bug removers strip wax?

theBrat
06-23-2002, 10:42 AM
Do the spray on tar and bug removal products strip wax or weaken it considerably? I think the Klasse AIO and SG would be fine, but I get the feeling that wax will take a hit. I HATE bug stains on a newly detailed car!

samiam513
06-23-2002, 10:48 AM
Yes, on the back fo the bottle it should say you need to re-wax the area. Most say that.

Dave N
06-23-2002, 01:01 PM
Back in my pre-Autopian days, I used to use a bug remover (can`t remember the name) that said on the bottle "will not strip wax". That stuff would strip the wax off my car faster than anything! I had a black Nissan, and wherever I sprayed the stuff, the paint would instantly oxidize. I think that most tar/bug removers will strip wax.

If you`re using Klasse, I imagine a good portion of that would be stripped as well by a tar/bug remover. If you already have AIO/SG, I would suggest just using some AIO to clean the area, then re-SG. You could also try clay -- this should only remove a little SG, if any.

jdog1988
06-23-2002, 01:48 PM
You should do more than just wax over it. I would recommend washing and pre cleaning the surface to remove any leftover residues/film. Most bug and tar removers will damage the clear coat even if just wax after use. If you wax right over your just covering it up and not cleaning the paint. Klasse is an excellant cleaner wax. But any cleaning product will work.:up jj