PDA

View Full Version : Help I can`t stop SGing!

shirtman
06-22-2002, 09:04 PM
So last weekend was the maiden voyage of Klasse and Souveran treatments. I dawned, AIO, SGx2 and topped with Souveran. I drive it daily, so yes, it did get dirty during the week when I got caught in a rainstorm...

So.... I decided that the look was good, but could even be improved. I dawned again Fri night, and used the PC and an orange polish pad from Griots to apply the AIO. Twice. Nice.

Then I topped it with DG and waited till this AM to remove. Took a bit of damp mf, despite a thin coat (maybe it is the humidity here right now) , and so when that was off, I waited a couple of hours and topped it again with SG. Each coat added depth and gloss. I waited until this evening to remove......and then SGed again..... I am afraid that this is getting out of control (my wife thought so after I started detailing again this weekend after spending a good portion of last in the same position!)

Anyway, I guess the common sense thing is to quit after this layer, as most posters report diminished progress after three...but hey, maybe they were wrong, and 4 or 5 is the right number....>aahhhhhhhhhhh

Help please.

Jeff

imported_Intel486
06-22-2002, 09:16 PM
I plan on doing 5 coats of SG on my truck. I don`t have Souveran and don`t have the money to order it right now. Lots of other things I wanna get first.

imported_killerjg
06-22-2002, 09:44 PM
I hate to tell you this, but it`s just the beginning! Good luck trying to stop at 5. I disagree with the diminishing returns.

What did you end up removing it with?

shirtman
06-22-2002, 10:09 PM
Just a touch of water on a mf towel, followed up with a dry one. Worked like a charm. Haven`t tried the QD method, as I "only" have Speedshine from Griots, Crystal from Pinnacle, and others with wax. OOps... maybe I have some left over Z quick detailer..... maybe that would work. Anyway, the water worked just fine.

I have one coat on overnight, and will probably finish off with the fifth.

Jeff

madazskunk
06-23-2002, 01:56 AM
when you guys put five coats of wax on do you just put on remove put on remove right after each coat or do you wait till the next day to do some. i don`t have a garage so i just put on one coat after washing and am through. also does five coats only apply to certain brands.

imported_dl9589
06-23-2002, 02:01 AM
For a carnuba based wax, you should wait 3 or 4 days to apply another coat, to give the previous coat time to cure.

I`m sure the cure time is much shorter with polymer type waxes though....not positive though?

pingiii
06-23-2002, 04:20 AM
I agree about the time in between layers of carnauba. I would wait, (I know it`s hard to do,) 24 hours to 3 days between coats of the SG. That gives it time to cure. I usually only wait 24 hours for the next coat. ( I told you it was hard.)

And I always put 2 coats of AIO and 5 coats of SG on my truck before the Souveran goes on. Remember light coats, and try Sonus or Wizard`s Mist and Shine for QD`ing in between. No carnauba in either of those products. Have never tried the Z products, so I can`t comment. But I`ll bet it works fine. Enjoy!

kreativ
06-23-2002, 05:38 AM
I hear a lot of people who use damp MF to remove SG, but I thought Klasse said to use dry MF for the whole SG process. I also read something on this forum a while back about how water could possibly interfere with the curing process. Could have just been a hypothesis by R. Ketcham (where`s he these days?)

Anyways, I have always removed Klasse SG with a dry MF towel, and it hasn`t been any harder than removing traditional wax.

I wonder how long AIO + 5 layers of SG lasts...

They said AIO lasts up to 6 months,

AIO + 1 layer SG lasts up to 1 year.

I guess no true Autopian has gone long enough to figure out the durability question.