PDA

View Full Version : It rained on my fresh coat of zaino...

Mutilator
06-22-2002, 06:13 PM
Is this going to cause a big problem when I try to remove it? I sure hope not. :(

I spent SIX HOURS this morning washing the car... then 3M SMR... then washing it again... then finally got a coat of Z3 ZFX applied... right after I turned the PC off it started to sprinkle... then it got harder... stopped after about 10 minutes. I would have buffed it off when it started raining but I had no clean MF towels... guess I do need more than 6 huh? Right now they`re drying so I`ll be able to go back at it in about 20 min. Hopefully the water won`t cause too big of a problem... I`ve never read what happens to zaino if it gets wet before you buff it off tho. I`m gonna be pissed if I have spots all over the car and have to start all over again... I`m in pain from being hunched over under some tarps all day heh. :mad:

I think I`m definatly going to do the zaino stuff by hand for now on... used nearly 1.8oz on 1 coat... the black pad just soaked it all up hehe.

samiam513
06-22-2002, 06:28 PM
Whoa!! 1.8 oz`s!!! Man thats alot!

Make sure the zaino i dry with the finger test.

Gatorfan
06-24-2002, 07:11 AM
guess I do need more than 6 huh? :D

Your 3000GT doesn`t have a clearcoat? I had a `92 Stealth and I thought it had one. Anyway, don`t give up totally on the Zaino by machine. Did you try misting the pad with Z6 prior to application of the polish? Usually I just apply one mist of Z6, spin at 6 for about a minute, then apply a ring of Z around the edge of the pad and an X across it. Then I use about 4 small drops around the pad every panel or so. This usually gives about four coats per ounce (a lot of folks here can do better). After the first coat, if the same pad is used, there is no need to add much Z when you start another coat since the pad has been reasonably saturated by the previous ones.

As for the rain interaction, I don`t know. I do know that it rained on my freshly Zainoed car last night (polish already removed), and I decided to Z6 as I dried. Bad idea. Smeared like crazy. Next time I`ll be sure to dry first, then Z6 :xyxthumbs .

Mutilator
06-24-2002, 07:27 AM
I realized what I did wrong and it was my fault... I guess since the 3m smr said not to soak the pad in water prior to use somehow I forgot to soak the zaino pad before I used it... so I basically had a big sponge with a little Z6 on it and it soaked up all the zaino. Yesterday I went back and added 2 more coats using that same pad by hand but moistened this time and got 2 coats out of about 1.5 ounces.

4 coats per ounce?! sheesh... I`ll get there one day I guess. ;)

And no my car doesn`t have a clearcoat since it`s red. Some other colors don`t have clearcoats either... I don`t think black does. Something about the paint is bright enough so it doesn`t need the clearcoat to provide anymore shine.

BTW I`m going to email Tom today and get some of his JTI towels... 6 definatly wasn`t enough.

It needs to rain so I don`t feel so guilty about washing my car 2-3 times while I`m detailing. ;)

abe lincoln
06-28-2002, 01:15 PM
Hey Mutilator, just thought I`d drop you a line since I think I got the link to this board from someone on 3si... did you use any other products before Zaino? I know it`s supposed to be the best.. but there seems to be a lot of investment in it just to get everything needed.. I`ve already invested enough in my Meguiar`s stuff :) thanks and have a good one.

Mutilator
06-28-2002, 01:35 PM
Yeah I use to use Meguiars, Armor All, Eagle One, Rain X, etc. Now I use mainly Zaino everything from carwash to quick detailing spray. Most of my meguiars stuff got given to family members.. the rest of my crap I`m probably going to throw away one day hehe.

Now I`ve got Zaino, Eimann Fabric Hi Intensity, 3M SMR, and some 303 Aerospace protectant for my dash/vinyl. Oh, and my new porter cable. :D