PDA

View Full Version : problem with truck shell`s paint....

msmcdon
06-21-2002, 09:40 AM
Hello everyone....

While detailing the Ranger last week, I noticed that the roof of the color-matched fiberglass shell has two small "bubbles" in the paint! They`re about a quarter of an inch in diameter and they don`t move like there is air under the surface like a true bubble, but I don`t know how else to explain it. :eek:

I`m not entirely sure how fiberglass shells are painted, so I don`t know if it is a true clearcoat or just a plastic coating, but it seems like it`s a plastic coating that is seperating from the paint. I`m petrified that they will grow bigger and begin peeling. I`m thinking that I might take a pin and "pop" them, then fill the pinhole with a drop of clearcoat paint.

Do any of you have any suggestions? BTW... this is my daily driver and it has sat outside 24/7 since it`s birth in 1994. I`ve managed to keep the paint in very good condition, but I`m worried about this shell problem. Sorry... no pics of the problem. I am digital camera-less.

Any ideas?

imported_BretFraz
06-21-2002, 10:54 AM
OK, so the bubbles are hard and not pliable, correct? If you took a pin they`d break/crack, not pop, right?

It probably is paint separation from the fiberglass. Many truck shells are painted to match the factory paint on the truck. So if it`s paint bubbling, that usually means a poor surface prep job that did not allow the paint to fully bond to the fiberglass.

First thing I`d do is dig out my paperwork from the shell purchase and see what kind of warranty came with it. Then I`d contact the shell mfr and find out what their process is for submitting a warranty claim. I am assuming the shell came painted from the factory.

If none of that works for you then I like your idea of fixing this problem ASAP. It`ll only get worse if left alone.

2wheelsx2
06-21-2002, 11:38 AM
Just make sure that it is painted, and not a colour machined gel-coat. I had one that was coloured match gel-coat. Won`t do that again, as it fades way fast. Anyway, if it`s just gel-coat and there is a bubble, then you are getting a fiberglass failure and that should be fully covered under your warranty. You should get a new shell.

msmcdon
06-21-2002, 11:53 AM
I don`t think it`s a gel-coat because I`ve had it for 6 years and it hasn`t faded a bit. I will contact the manufacturer, but a warranty is way out of the picture since I bought it 6 years ago. Even then, that model shell had been discontinued. I lucked out.... I drove to the shell retailer and inquired about a shell. He had this one.... fit my year truck, was the same Calypso green color and was at a drastic discount.

I have a feeling that whatever happens, I`m going to be the one making the repairs. Thanks for your input, though! :)

Attached is a very dark photo of my truck, taken 2 years ago.