PDA

View Full Version : Is fresh bird dropping SAFE?

Pages : [1] 2

zey
06-21-2002, 05:02 AM
If I remove fresh bird droppings within 5 minutes` time, will I get any damages? Can anyone confirm with me about this issue? Because I heard that once the bird droppings are in contact with the clearcoat, it`ll start to react ASAP. Thanks.

jerry@robs
06-21-2002, 05:07 AM
Lotsa discussions about this already...

http://www.autopia-carport.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8596

http://www.autopia-carport.com/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=67153&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

http://www.autopia-carport.com/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=67154&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

http://www.autopia-carport.com/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=67155&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

nerdhunters
06-21-2002, 08:41 AM
I have had bird droppings on my car all day got home cleaned them off and absoultely no damage can be seen. I do have 4 coats of SG and carnauba wax on the car. I just don`t see the rapid damage some have noted, in fact I suspect some droppings have sat on my wife`s car a couple of days and I don`t see damage. It may have a lot to do with how the car is detailed.

shaf
06-21-2002, 12:51 PM
I think a lot of it depends on several varibles so there`s no hard answer:

-temperature

-wetness of dropping

-sun/no sun

-what the bird had to eat!

Also keep in mind when removing it they are gritty and abrasive (unless they`re the pure liquid kind).

metroplex
06-21-2002, 10:17 PM
The darn birds have gizzards which mean they eat sand/grit to aid in digestion. THis means you have nice sandpaper ALONG with acids and crap stuck to your car :mad: :mad:

imported_Intel486
06-21-2002, 11:16 PM
I have had bird dropping on my truck for a long time and don`t see any damage on my finish. I usually have 3 to 5 coats of Klasse SG w/ a carnauba topper.

The only etching I have is from tree sap which I have no clue how long it sat on my truck. Really left a nice mark though.

VetteToVair
06-21-2002, 11:28 PM
sometimes bird sh** will sit on my car for days, but no damage

rstype
06-22-2002, 12:46 AM
To me, no no no it’s not safe! I have had some fresh bird-droppings etch the fragile paint of the Passat in less than an hour. As a Ron K. recommendation, I neutralized any lingering acids with alcohol and completed a battery of etch-removal attempts without much sucess.

But then of course, no one could see it in regular lighting and only I could see it under a few halogens and a beam of fluorescents. But it does damage. And I saw it.

~bw

metroplex
06-22-2002, 06:42 AM
A bird dropping on the roof of my 2000 Crown Vic etched the paint job.

You can`t really see it but the damage is there.

imported_doug
06-22-2002, 10:06 AM
Let me summarize:

1) Depends on the bird, and what he (or she - must be politically correct) ate.

2) If there`s sand or dirt in it, then you can damage the paint in the act of removing it if you`re not careful.

3) If there`s heavy ammonia it will etch the paint fairly quickly. Sometimes there is, sometimes there isn`t.

Get it off as soon as possible, but get it off safely.

metroplex
06-22-2002, 10:15 AM
According to the pros, you`re better off taking the poop off asap and risk scratching the surface rather than let it etch into the body.

mercedesfanatic
06-22-2002, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by 4DSC

I think a lot of it depends on several varibles so there`s no hard answer:

-temperature

-wetness of dropping

-sun/no sun

-what the bird had to eat!

Also keep in mind when removing it they are gritty and abrasive (unless they`re the pure liquid kind).

Oh and don`t forget about taste, that`s an important factor also:D

Travlinlght
06-23-2002, 07:56 PM
Took out my GN today for a drive. Bird bomb landed on my windshield and trunk lid. Got home maybe 5 minutes later. Delicately removed all the Cr*p. Litterly!! Anyhow it left like a ring with little etched pits . I was furious!!! I could see it in certain light on my black paint. I used my Meguires scratchX. It worked, it took about 4 applications but i got 98% out.

ScratchX has worked well for me for spot scratch and stain cleaning. It doesn`t leave any other sratches or a super clean spot where you used it.

jerry@robs
06-23-2002, 08:44 PM
i agree, different birds leave different doo...

zey
06-24-2002, 05:45 AM
Mags GN, I just tried my newly bought Scratch-X today on bird droppings etched marks, it really works! No scratches and swirls left behind...=)