PDA

View Full Version : Did a search... Found 0, Need advice.

Pages : [1] 2

jerry@robs
06-21-2002, 02:19 AM
Short version: How to clean large vehicles.

Long version: I`m 5`7"... My height is fine cleaning cars like my Corolla... Or `cars` basically... But I`m stumped on what to do when faced with an Expedition, Ram Van, etc... Even a CRV... The roof is just way too high to reach properly without being acrobatic...

The best method I`ve tried so far is using a small A-type ladder of about 4 ft high. I open a door and place the ladder between the door and the door frame, cover the ladder with soft foam to prevent accidents... then work on the roof...

But it still seems too unbalanced when it comes to full size vans, the rear portion of Suburbans (long rear), etc...

Thanks in advance...

ultrajim49
06-21-2002, 02:41 AM
For the lower parts I use :

http://www.vakcer.com/mpv/gallery/christiaan/mpv02.jpg

For the upper parts it`s a kitchen-step(3-steps high)

:wavey

shaf
06-21-2002, 02:56 AM
Yeah I just very carefully use a ladder or small stepladder and stretch my little arms to reach the middle of the vehicle.

Unless you could hang off a low roof or something and have someone slowly move the car beneath you! :D

jerry@robs
06-21-2002, 03:58 AM
cvcaelen: Hmm... time to get a kid so that I can concentrate on the upper parts... :D

so I guess the ladder is it... I guess it works fine, I just don`t have the confidence to use a machine when I`m off the ground hehe... Thanks guys...

I was hoping somebody would suggest a Tom Cruise - Mission Impossible hanging technique for Autopians... hehe...

imported_edschwab1
06-21-2002, 04:29 AM
I was hoping somebody would suggest a Tom Cruise - Mission Impossible hanging technique for Autopians... hehe... [/B]

Last week I was working on my Expedition and thought the same thing. I am still wondering how I can rig up the ropes.

Ladder are the way to go and I wish I was taller. Maybe elevator shoes would work?

jerry@robs
06-21-2002, 04:32 AM
elevator shoes would work but they`re leather... can`t get them wet... :P

the last time I tried the MI stunt, a rat passed by and I dropped on the roof of my brother in law`s CRV hehe..

short people won`t have backaches when cleaning wheels and trims, though... hehe

couch16
06-21-2002, 06:54 AM
Griot`s Garage has a solution to your problem. Check out their item number 91544

http://www.griotsgarage.com/search.jsp?searchtext=91544

Let us know what you decide to do.

jerry@robs
06-21-2002, 08:30 AM
that looks good... but too expensive for me...

I`ll try to find a copy version here... hehe... Manila has a lot of skilled "copy artist" welders... :)

Thanks a lot...

uxu
06-21-2002, 10:30 AM
I use an inverted plastic milk crate to get to roof height while working on the CR-V.

I also sit on it (insert Fonzie joke here) while detailing the sides of vehicles. I have a cushion that I put on it - voila - instant seat.

When I am done, I put all of my detailing stuff in it, and store it on a `special shelf` in the garage.

couch16
06-21-2002, 10:44 AM
You know, I bet Home Depot or Lowe`s carries something like that. I`d also be willing to wager that it`s a lot cheaper than the one from Griot`s too.

jerry@robs
06-21-2002, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by uxu

I use an inverted plastic milk crate to get to roof height while working on the CR-V.

I also sit on it (insert Fonzie joke here) while detailing the sides of vehicles. I have a cushion that I put on it - voila - instant seat.

When I am done, I put all of my detailing stuff in it, and store it on a `special shelf` in the garage.

That`s a great idea... :)

You know, I bet Home Depot or Lowe`s carries something like that. I`d also be willing to wager that it`s a lot cheaper than the one from Griot`s too.

I`m from Manila, none of those here... :(

I guess I`m just too intimidated with big cars that I can`t see the roof without a ladder hehe.

Thanks guys

imported_Tony
06-21-2002, 11:44 AM
uxu

"I use an inverted plastic milk crate to get to roof height while working on the CR-V.

When I am done, I put all of my detailing stuff in it, and store it on a `special shelf` in the garage. "

Small world: I do the same thing, well no cushion(yet). Very stabile,lite weight and easy to carry. I still need more height for very high vehicles( SUV).

imported_seres
06-21-2002, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by uxu

Good idea! Especially using it as a seat & storage!

I personally use one of those heavy plastic tool benches that doubles as a step to get to the top of my volvo wagon (I`m only 5`4") but haven`t done a large SUV yet. Was thinking about the kitchen step-ladder thing. Or using my 5`11" inch son!

Ahh, children! Short ones for the wheels, tall ones for the roofs!! :D

bumper
06-21-2002, 03:59 PM
I don`t have any tall vehicles, but I would think that a kitchen step-stool would be safer to work from than a ladder, and easier to move around. Then, for washing, I would use a sponge-on-a-pole thingy.

samiam513
06-21-2002, 09:33 PM
I just stand up. :D

I`ll make somone a deal. I`ll do the roof, you do the wheels. I`m tall