PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Prepsol... almost bought paint stripper!!!

DrewD
06-20-2002, 10:03 PM
Well, I went to Pep Boys tonight to pick up a few supplies I needed for a paint chip repair job. I needed some Prepsol to clean the area first, and found myself in the sandpaper/body filler isle. There`s some crazy stuff there! I didn`t find Prepsol, but I did find:

Auto Prep Automotive Surface Cleaner made by Klean-Strip

Right next to it were two products in almost identical cans... one was for removing the clear coat, and the other was for "peeling" the entire paint job off! :scared Needless to say, I made sure to read the label of the can I purchased VERY well! It indicates that it removes wax, grease, bugs, tar, etc. but not paint itself, thank God!

Anyway, just a reminder to be very careful when buying products from that isle!

On a side note, looks like I purchased the last bottle of NON-High Gloss Meguiar`s Endurance tire dressing while I was there. they had a whole bunch of the glossy stuff... I had to dig all the way to the back to find the normal sheen variety. I was considering the red/green/blue sparkel brand... but figured I`d hold off on that for a little while...

laynlow
06-20-2002, 10:29 PM
In case you haven`t seen it, this is what you are looking for...

http://multimedia.mmm.com/mws/mediawebserver.dyn?rrrrrr9yJCFrL7Srd7Srrr7StCuRRRR p-

imported_capspackle
06-20-2002, 10:50 PM
Wow.. goodthink you read the label, or you could have ended up with a car with no clear coat, or worse, no paint..

If you can, do some before and after pictures of the paint chip.. and a description of what you did for those of us who dont know how to go about exactly fixing a paint chip.

Good luck!!!

DaGonz
06-20-2002, 10:53 PM
Prep-Sol is a trademark of the Dupont Company. I get mine at Finishmaster, an auto body supply company.

DrewD
06-21-2002, 09:50 AM
I`ll try to take some pics when I get around to the repair. DavidB has some great instructions that I plan on following:

http://www.autopia-carport.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8592

jr weeks
06-22-2002, 11:04 AM
Drew, I know ( I should say I think) you were kidding about the "red/green/blue sparkel brand" of tire gels, but It reminded me of something a guy I know from my car club recently told me.

We were in Carlisle at the Ford nationals discussing detailing ( he`s NOT a detailing enthusiast ) and the topic of tire protectants came up. He said to me: "you ever use any of those colored ones with the sparkles in them?" ...My reply, in all honesty, "God no".

Him: "well, don`t , BAD idea"...He said it took him HOURS to remove all the sparkles from the tire, and he used every cleaner he could throw at them, including a pressure washer, to finally rid them. He did say he could still see a sparkle or two despite his efforts. Scary stuff,

Just thought I`d warn anyone that might, ehh...like that sort of thing. Cheers.