PDA

View Full Version : Zaino usage tips?

chevyguy28
06-20-2002, 12:44 PM
I`m a carnuba man, I love the depth and the personality, and don`t mind the lack of durability. You can`t convince me on Zaino yet!

However, I have a co-worker that I recommended Zaino to a year ago. I recently talked to him again about it and he said he uses 3-4 oz. of Zaino ( for each Z-2 and Z-5) per coat on his small Chevy S-10. I said "WHOOOAAA!", that is way to much! His truck is small compared to a F-150, which I`m sure at the minimum two coats should be possible for what he is using.

I`ve never used Zaino, but I recommended applying only a dime sized portion at a time, dabbing it on the paint and then spreading it using linear strokes as much as possible. I told him he should barely be able to see it. Have any tips I could give him to help him out? He should be using a maximum of 1 oz. per coat IMO.

laynlow
06-20-2002, 12:54 PM
I get three coats per oz on my Explorer Sport by hand, or two by PC. Make sure your friend is wetting his applicator and then wringing it out first. Then make sure he is spritzing some Z6 on it from time to time. It is not necessary to apply so much that it looks like a wax haze. In fact, when the coats are thin, it is sometimes a tad difficult to see if the lighting isn`t right.

Also run a search, there are a bunch of tips out there!

BradE
06-20-2002, 12:56 PM
Also run a search, there are a bunch of tips out there!

Agreed. There have been a number of threads on this issue, they are loaded with good tips. :wavey

imported_memnuts
06-20-2002, 01:02 PM
From the more is better school of thought. Just tell him to read the Zaino directions on the bottle or the web site. Even a carnuba user doesn`t apply 3-4 oz of wax per coat. It must take forever for this amount to ever dry. I doubt if he is applying this much because if so he would have become frustrated with the smearing and thrown the Zaino in the trash. Or maybe he was the guy with the truck that RedCarGuy saw that was in a mall parking lot with wax still on his car. :nixweiss

If following the Zaino directions is an issue, just tell him very, very, very thin coats will do the job. No special tricks or tips are necessary... just thin coats. He`ll probably be surprise of what he has been missing. :shocked

imported_chris
06-20-2002, 01:20 PM
I had the same questions about Zaino. Couldn`t tell if I was putting too much or not enough? I put it on my Acura RSX(Satin Silver) and it`s tough to tell if it`s covering or not. I guess it takes time and practice? So far I love the results!

shaf
06-20-2002, 02:10 PM
Try a search and find TortoiseAWD`s post about how he get thin coats of Zaino. I have no idea if this is the best way, but the post has nice pics to go along with it. :D

imported_chris
06-20-2002, 02:16 PM
Thanks 4DSC, I`ll look it up!