PDA

View Full Version : Cement!!!

jerry@robs
06-19-2002, 01:31 AM
Question guys... (Did a search, and read about the Mayor`s vinegar suggestion)

The car that I`m driving right now has quite a bit of cement splatter underneath the passenger side rocker panel, it has been there since we got the car. We thought it was just muddy splatter from the road. (So the cement has been there AT LEAST 4.5 years)

The splatter pattern is a typical wheel-to-mudguard water/mud splatter that is about 2 feet in length, 5 inch in height, kinda like the pattern when you forcefully pour water to the floor at a 30 degree angle.

The cement is quite thick, even wet sanding with 1500grit sand paper won`t budge it...

What`s a good way to remove that?

Solutions? Tools? Please provide proper, detailed instructions... Thanks...

samiam513
06-19-2002, 10:43 AM
I had some on myy A-pillar and nothing would remove it. I carefully took a razor to it. Luckly I didn`t scratch the paint.

Now that I look back on that I see how stupid I was for taking the risk...

thevolvoguy
06-19-2002, 09:01 PM
ehh cement.... thats never good. I think I have a little bit on my 850 too. Dont know how to remove it though. Did you try a search?

jerry@robs
06-19-2002, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by thevolvoguy

ehh cement.... thats never good. I think I have a little bit on my 850 too. Dont know how to remove it though. Did you try a search?

yes i did, and the mayor said that white vinegar solution will work on light cement specs, and muriatic (5%) acid diluted will work for bigger problems as well... I`m going to try the acid this weekend, but I`m afraid it won`t work coz my cement aren`t spots, they`re literally splattered, about 1/4" thick

Bobby G
06-19-2002, 11:27 PM
Acid will take care of the cement even if it`s cured. It may take a bit longer, but it still disolves the lime.

db

jerry@robs
06-19-2002, 11:32 PM
Thanks Dave...

So what exactly should I do? What should I use? Thanks

m5m3
06-20-2002, 12:29 PM
Cement of your car...not good.

I have cleaned my garden seat (metal painted) that got cement on it during some building work. I used a brick cleaner you can get from the local builders merchant. It is acid based and used for removing morter from your bricks if you are a messy brick layer. This did not hurt the paint on my seat, I put it on only the cement - took me about 3 or 4 applications over the day (put it on left for 1hr washed off etc). Hope you get it clean.

jerry@robs
06-20-2002, 08:35 PM
Thanks richard... I`ll give it a shot... :)

I`ll update you guys when I get started... (pics again yipee hehe)

imported_Intel486
06-20-2002, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by DavidB

Acid will take care of the cement even if it`s cured. It may take a bit longer, but it still disolves the lime.

db

What kind of acid should you use?

muriatic acid? Where can you get that? Pool supply store?

What about Oxalic Acid which is found in ProWax`s Power Lift Fallout Liquid and I also think Autoint`s ABC system. Will that remove cemet?

What about something like Mineral spirits?

Originally posted by richardp

Cement of your car...not good.

I have cleaned my garden seat (metal painted) that got cement on it during some building work. I used a brick cleaner you can get from the local builders merchant. It is acid based and used for removing morter from your bricks if you are a messy brick layer. This did not hurt the paint on my seat, I put it on only the cement - took me about 3 or 4 applications over the day (put it on left for 1hr washed off etc). Hope you get it clean.

What type of acid in in brick cleaner? Will it hurt the paint at all in the long run?