PDA

View Full Version : Review: 3M Perfect-it SHOW CAR wax

imported_StyleTEG
06-18-2002, 02:25 PM
http://stylesdetails.netfirms.com/3M_liquidwb.jpg

I have had this stuff sitting around unopened for months. I picked it up just to give it a try, but never got around to it.

Since I am going to strip down my klasse for blackfire & souveran next week, I figured I would give it a try and see how it turned out.

Price: $12.76, more expensive than meguiars #26 and goldclass, but still cheaper than P21S, Blitz, etc

Availability: They have plenty of it stocked at my local Murrys Discount Auto, but I don`t think I have seen it at AutoZone. Depends on what chains are in your area.

Application: I was pretty surprised. I used a yosteve foam applicator, and it really went on smoothly. With little effort, I was able to put a very thin coat of wax all over the car. I didn`t have to use very much wax to cover all painted areas on the car.

Smell: Smells like chemicals, but it’s a very very faint smell. I had to put the bottle right up to my nose before I smelled anything. Apparently my GF was watching me from inside, and was quite puzzled on why I smelled the wax. Going inside afterwards with wax on the end of my nose didn`t help the situation ;).

That does show how close I had to get before I started to smell anything.

Removal: Oh my lord, this stuff did not want to come off. I went inside for a small break before trying to buff it off. Probably waited about twenty minutes. Even with a very thin coat of the wax, it smeared everywhere instead of buffing off. The MF I was using got saturated in wax very quickly and would not pick up anymore. Further, the wax that did get on the towel was very very tacky. I figured I needed to let it sit longer, and it would buff off easier if it was completely dry.

Nope, I waited an hour and a half and it still would not buff off. It was as dry as wax gets, but I ended up using four towels front and back to get it all off. I used #26 as a topper for a PT Cruiser yesterday, and it came off much easier so I don`t think I am just used to the easy-on-off of souveran/blitz/klasse/etc.

Results: Pretty good, better than I thought. Its not up to par with blitz, but its pretty close. I doubt I would use it again because of the pain of removal, and I don`t mind ordering easier to use products. It has pretty good depth, and it does have a nice Carnauba warmth, that compliments the gloss of klasse. If you can get this product locally, and have arms of steel, you may want to try it out. :xyxthumbs

imported_capspackle
06-18-2002, 02:42 PM
Excellent review.. I agree with you completely. I bought it, but never got the chance of using it. I then used it ontop of 3 layers of SG on my fathers 740, and it is a very big PITA to remove. I bought it locally at a Pep-Boys. However, i dont remember paying $13.00 for it.. I remember it being around $9-10.

BradE
06-18-2002, 03:03 PM
Nice Review. :xyxthumbs I have tried the paste version and I was impressed with the initial shine but the durability was horrible. Lasted about a week on my car, very disappointed considering 3M typically makes good products.

ALAN81
06-18-2002, 03:28 PM
I used it also 11.99 went on smooth and I waited 10 minutes to take it off, not really a problem.Great shine that lasts about 9 days at most NEVER AGAIN,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Its for show cars so there is no duarabilty

CharlesW
06-18-2002, 03:33 PM
Good review. I have found the paste version to be very easy to apply and remove. When I used it as a topper for my Meguiars Medallion, the shine was outstanding. As far as durability, I can`t really say. Our cars are garaged about 16 out of the 24 hours in a day, so they don`t have a real tough life. My first experience with Platinum was today and it looks great, but I don`t think the shine is any better than the Medallion-3M combination. It was a one step, very easy process though. The reputed durability of the Platinum was one of the reasons for trying it.

Charles

amgtorre
06-18-2002, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the review!!

This wax is localy available and was planning on trying it sometime in the future ... guess I`ll pass

Scottwax
06-18-2002, 04:39 PM
ShowroomLincoln is right-the paste version is far more user friendly-the only real removal problem is some streaking which a QD easily takes care of. It doesn`t spread nearly as easy as Pinnacle waxes either.

The shine is very nice initially, but after a few weeks... :(

Durability is not good at all. I can get an easy 12 weeks of beading from Meguiars #26, Pinnacle Paste Glaz or Souveran, or Formula 113 (probably because Protect All Quick and Easy Wash is so gentle on waxes), but I was lucky to get 3 weeks out of 3Ms Perfect it. If it went on and off as easily as Souveran, that wouldn`t be a huge problem.

buldog
06-18-2002, 07:07 PM
About 3 weeks and 3 washes later it has diminished to a point of no water beading just water sheating. Initial shine was outstanding. I guess I need to wax tha van again.

I used the paste and really had no problem buffing off. Maybe since I have applied Z 4x times now that I have come to appreciate thin layers. I wondered if maybe I had applied it to thin and that is why it didn`t last longer. But by the sounds of it the durablility factor is not there.

caddyman
06-18-2002, 07:35 PM
I use the paste version on my Cadillac. I love it. I wax every 2 wweks, so I dont really care about durability. It mkaes the White Diamond Paint look excellent. Never have used it on dark cars. Only Big White!

Alex

imported_StyleTEG
06-19-2002, 10:59 AM
Sounds like duribility is on par with goldclass from what everyone is saying. Paste is easier to apply/remove.

Don`t think I will be using this product again :) , but good to keep in mind for potential recomendations (ya never know).