PDA

View Full Version : my platinum experience

medic
06-18-2002, 10:47 AM
I finally had a chance to use the platinum samples I got a few weeks ago from tacscar to clean the car that had been sitting in an uncovered parking lot by the airport for almost 2 weeks. Quite impressive.

I didn`t do the dawn wash prep becasue I plan on stripping the platinum in a few weeks anyway and also I just didn`t have the time after work. I figured most of my wax was already gone since it was being bombarded by the elements and heat. I`m sure if you do a dawn wash, the results will be beter.

Anyway, The shampoo suds-up real nice and it smells good to, but that`s not too important. Like others have mentioned, the soapiness lasted for a while even though I was washing the car in 85+ degree shade. The shampoo is pretty tough and was able to get off some dirt and other grime I doubt my Meguier`s gold could get off.

I used a damp terry cloth cotton (no Mfs yet) to apply the paint protectant. It goes on very easily and it`s pretty easy to tell when you put on too much. The surface was much slicker afterwards, but it didn`t get the same depth and wet look I get with carnuba wax (but that`s the downside to all polymers).

This morning when I went out, I noticed that the sprinkler system had decided to water my fender and hood. The water beaded slightly, but not like wax. I was able to wipe it off easily and didn`t notice any spotting event through the water was sitting there for a few hours.

One other item I noticed was a lot of dead bugs. It was almost as though the platium has some element that kills mosquitos or other critters that sit on the paint. There were about a dozen dead bugs at different spots on my car which is just too much to be a coincidence. Anyone else notice this? I really don`t mind since maybethis will teach their friends to stay off my winshield whant I`m driving down the road, but I don`t like the idea of bugs dying and then just sitting on my paint getting baked in my the sun.

Overall I am impressed, but now comes the durability test.