PDA

View Full Version : Getting my hood repainte tomorrow.....

imported_Erik Mejia
06-17-2002, 06:23 PM
Since some punk keyed my hood on sat, tomorrow I am getting my hood repainted.

My question is, is it possible to spray several coats of clear on the hood, to increase depth, and reduce chances of clearcoat failure due to excessive swirl fighting?:nixweiss

Thanks in advance for your help!

imported_capspackle
06-17-2002, 07:39 PM
I think someone posted a question regarding adding several layers of clear coat to the car. (can`t seem to find it though.. David.. did you delete it?)

Anyways, you are correct, that it would provide more optical clarity, and more margin for error, how ever, i think the drawback was the cost in putting several layers on clear coat on the car. If you got the money, do it..

06-17-2002, 08:09 PM
Ahhh, I wouldnt do that. then your hood wood be shinier and darker then the rest of the car, no matter what you do to it. Just do the normal amount, which is 2 or 3.

shaf
06-17-2002, 08:29 PM
Yeah I wouldn`t try to "upgrade" the clear on your hood for the same reasons as AlBoston. I don`t know how old or what colour your car is, but try to find a quality, experienced paint shop since as cars age the paint colour tends to fade or change a tiny bit. A really good paint man will be more skillful at compensating for fade than joe blow, so I`ve heard.

Good luck with the repair. :up

imported_Erik Mejia
06-17-2002, 08:44 PM
Thanks guys!

My car is a 1995 milano red civic.....

This painter is the best one in the city period.......he does most of the ferrari´s around here, as well as porsches......he has 3 different paint brand machines, and dust free oven....He painted my bumper covers, and look sooooooo dope!

The work will look A+! I am sure.....it is a bit more expensive than joe blow, but who cares, I will be the one cheking out reflections later on!:cool:

samiam513
06-17-2002, 09:17 PM
Could you possibly take a picture of the red paint while it is wet? I have never seen red wet, only silver. It was soooo awesome.

VetteToVair
06-17-2002, 09:21 PM
before anything else, i would find that punk and key his sorry a**!

:mad: :nono :scared :eek: :argue

imported_Erik Mejia
06-17-2002, 09:38 PM
I would......but this painter is quite tough, I bet he wont let me into the paint cabin, he uses a special suit to avoid dust and stuff from getting to the painted part.....

Andre'
06-18-2002, 12:07 AM
It`s not just cracking that excessive paint thickness can cause. Excessive film build can trap the solvents causing the paint to blister or pop as the solvents try to escape.

It`s ok to apply many layers of Lacquer paint. Lacqure solvents flash "dry" very very fast. When i use Lacqure paints i like to do no more than 3 or 4 coats in one day. The next day you can wet sand the paint and apply 3 to 4 more coats, you can do this just about as many times as you like. Lacqure paints do not need a catalyst to cure, as soon as the solvents flash the paint is cured.

Redcar GUY
06-18-2002, 12:38 AM
Glad to here your gettin it fixed;):xyxthumbs

imported_Erik Mejia
06-18-2002, 11:04 AM
Thanks a lot for the help!

I´ve just came back from the paint shop, he told me that the current clearcoat he is using is thicker that OEM one, so I should not worry about damaging it.....I am getting my whole front end repainted, including both rocker panels, so that the whole front will look new......the bumper cover was painted 6 months ago....he will also paint my rear spoiler, and said he will spray part of my door, for a perdect blend.....he has painted our C240, and you cant tell it has been repaired.....

BTW, here is the pic of the scratch.....I will post some after pics! As you see, it was reaaaly reflective :mad: