PDA

View Full Version : which MFs?

medic
06-17-2002, 06:22 PM
So I`ve finally gotten fed up with my terry cloth towels and am going to go the MF route. Couple of questions:

What quality should I go for: 80/20, 70/30, etc? I figure 80/20 is better, but based on cost vs. quality what`s good?

Terry cloth or suede?

Any specific brands?

Size?

How many? I figure about 10 at a minimum, but maybe this is too much/too little. I`m planning on using K, but not sure about the wax topper.

Since I`m going to be dropping some $$ on this, I want to make sure I get the right stuff.

2wheelsx2
06-17-2002, 06:48 PM
If you do a search, you`ll see that most people recommend 70/30. It has to do with the absorption properties. As for size, I have the 15"x15" from Neatitems and I find them to be perfect for buffing when I found in quarters. If you are going to use them for drying you`re probably going to want a larger one than that.

For paint, use nothing but the terry ones. The suede ones have no nap, so if you catch a piece of grit, it`s going to gouge up your paint. The suede is good for glass and the like, but for the amount of use I get out of it, I would have gotten all terry.

I got 5 and it was not nearly enough. I should have at least gotten 10, but 20 would be nice. I am going to order 20 or 25 with my next order. With 5, you`re basically constantly washing. With 10 or 20, you can wait until the next detail, and also not worrying using one which is too dirty.

imported_fatboy
06-17-2002, 06:52 PM
good decision in going the mf route. the blend of the towels is not going to be as important as the plushness and quality of the towel. i think most will agree that 70/30 blend towels tend to be better, but there are also the green viper towels that are 80/20 blend, but very plush and excellent for use on paint.

terry is what you`ll want to use on paint for buffing, qding, etc. suede may be better for glass, but terry mf will work just as fine. in terms of brands, towels from cma (http://www.properautocare.com) , pakshak (http://www.pakshak.com) and neatitems (http://www.neatitems.com/micro.htm) are popular here. but there are many that find towels from jt international as great towels that wont cost a whole lot. you can get 10 16x16 terry mfs for about $25 shipped. you can contact him at jtintern@hotmail.com for what he has available and a price list. there is also a review of the towels in the product reviews section here. hope the info helps. i`m sure others will drop their thoughts here.

shirtman
06-17-2002, 08:05 PM
I am going the JT Intl. route also. Seems like quality product at a reassonable price.

Jeff

samiam513
06-17-2002, 08:19 PM
I just got my order of jt`s in today.

20 blue terries

2 gold waffles

2 cloths for my glasses.

They are very nice. Feel, look the same as neat items, but much less.

Give him an e-mail. You won`t be disapointed.

amgtorre
06-19-2002, 10:46 AM
Got some towels from JT international, the terry`s are 70/30 and seem really good ...

The golden waffle weave are outstanding ! I dried the whole car without wringing, WOW!! the blend on these is 80/20, I`m really really happy with this , drying with regular MF towels took multiple passes ...

I wish I had ordered more waffle towels since I got only a couple ... next time ... my wife is giving me odd looks for accumulating to many detailing supplies ... will wait until next month :D

imported_Indy YZF
06-19-2002, 11:46 AM
Do you guys feel that NEATITEMS MF towels are about as good as any out there?

Mutilator
06-19-2002, 11:52 AM
Paul - According to this poll (http://www.autopia-carport.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5140&highlight=microfiber) Neatitems, yosteve, and CMA are the 3 fav. towels here. I got 2 CMA towels today and have 4 more coming tomorrow... hopefully the weather will cooperate so I can try all my new goodies out this weekend. ;)

russeus
06-20-2002, 09:57 PM
Have to give a thumbs up on JT Intl`s MF towels. Got my towels today, several 16x16 & a couple waffle weave 24x24. Towels seem to be of very good quality, though this is my first MF purchase so I don`t have a good reference point. Tom provided excellent service & the towels arrived in 3 days.

I`ve read numerous recent posts singing the praises of PakShak towels & will have to get a few of those for comparison sake.

eboller
06-21-2002, 06:54 AM
I like Meguiar`s Ultimate Wipes. Then again, I haven`t tried anything else. I chose these based on someone`s rec after comparing yosteve, griot`s and meguiar`s. The Meguiar`s worked great for buffing off Z2 and Z6. I also use one to catch any little bits of water I missed with the chamois. Don`t appear to cause any scratching or swirling even with hard rubbing ( I used a little too much Z I think the first time).

Eric

GP Infinity
06-21-2002, 07:50 AM
I have bought microfiber towels from Griots and JTI. all of them are great.. the wife has threatened to take the new large one from JTI for the shower...

but I did do a cost comparison spreadsheet to see the cost per square inch by several of the different sources that have been posted on Autopia..

If anyone wants a copy of this Excel spreadsheet, just email me at dboat@prodigy.net

interesting results