PDA

View Full Version : Got a hand-me-down orbital, now what?

StLB5
06-17-2002, 04:10 PM
I searched through the forum and didn`t find a good orbitals for dummies reference. My father-in-law gave me his old black and decker 8" random orbital this weekend with three "pads". Two of them are thicker than the other and the all seem to be cotton, maybe. I don`t think any of them are for applying wax or polish and they all are "tie on" pads meaning they fit over the circular part of the orbital and then you pull and tie the drawstrings and tuck the strings under the pad. Does that sound right? They need to be washed. Should I wash them, or just start fresh? If fresh, what am I looking for in pads and where do I find them? Brands? Is there a good orbitals for dummies site or FAQ? The orbital is a fixed speed, should I try applying anything other than my Meguiars Medallion Paint Cleaner or #26 wax? I`ve got some Perfect-It II also that I`ve been doing by hand, but I think I need to redo it since I think I made some lines. TIA

Bobby G
06-17-2002, 04:14 PM
The B&D 8" polisher is good for waxing and not much else. It simply does not have the power to do polishing work.

Buffing for Dummies... I like that!

imported_BretFraz
06-17-2002, 04:29 PM
You`ll need to search for replacement pads for that puppy. I do not think CMA sells them. Try Top Of The Line (TOL) or the website for Chamberlain/Waxmaster/Waxcoa. Look for Gem polishers website too. You are looking for cotton terry buffer bonnets.

These orbitals are fine for applying waxes, glazes, and one-step cleaner wax products. You can use it for applying polishes but don`t expect miracles.

They are fine to use as a starter buffer but when you want to step up to more serious work, you`ll need a PC or comparable.

ALAN81
06-17-2002, 06:10 PM
I have a Black and Decker 7" buffer.David hit the nail on the head if you put a little pressure on it it stops so go easy it can`t take any pressure or do anything hard.Your best choice is to go to E bay and find a good used polisher for about 70 dollars.Once you start pumping money into thisBLACK AND DECKER machine you will see that you want a better machine.DONT THROW GOOD MONEY AFTER BAD.

imported_dchu1975
06-17-2002, 08:58 PM
Does anyone know if there is a PC dealer in Toronto, Etobicoke or Mississauga that has 7424 accessories (counterweights, backing plates, pads) in stock?

I hate to order anything when I can just drop in and pick it up. :bounce

imported_BretFraz
06-17-2002, 09:10 PM
Please use the SEARCH function to look for your answer. This topic has been discussed several times recently and the answer you are looking for is here.

imported_dchu1975
06-17-2002, 10:00 PM
Bretfraz, I have tried the search function without any success. The few hits I did get were for dealers that could order one for me but I cannot find any local dealer that has these items in stock. :sosad

2wheelsx2
06-17-2002, 10:44 PM
Canadian Tire had a special on in mid-May, but it`s probably off now. I got mine then. 99ESMAX has a group buy on for the pads. He is from your area, so you might want to PM him. He has info on where to get the counterweights, and his prices on the pads are better than anything you can get mail order or over-the-counter in Canada.

C. Charles Hahn
06-18-2002, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by DavidB

The B&D 8" polisher is good for waxing and not much else. It simply does not have the power to do polishing work.

Buffing for Dummies... I like that!

title for the next chapter of your book?? :p