PDA

View Full Version : Nasty plastic smell in a 3 month old MDX.....what to do!!

swhtech
06-17-2002, 02:46 PM
Hello,

I`m not quite sure how to describe this smell that I have in my three month old MDX. It`s definitely not a "new car smell" nor is it a "leather smell". It is a strong plastic type smell. It seems stronger in the back seat. We had an Acura cargo mat in the trunk, which I put my nose right up to it and it definitely had the same smell. So, I removed it a few weeks ago, and the smell is still there. We also have a cargo cover, but I have not taken that out yet. My wife drives the car daily, and it makes her gag when she opens the back door. She says that when the car gets hot, the smell gets worse. If she turns on the A/C, and gets some air circulating, it does dissipate. It sounds to me like gas from the plastics in the car. Maybe the dashboard, or the cargo cover??? The only thing I tried was to wash the seats with Lexol Leather cleaner, but that didn`t seem to help either. She tried putting in some Yankee Candle car smell things, and it just mixes with the plastic smell and makes it worse! I am planning on doing a full interior detail the end of this week.....including shampooing rugs (product suggestions??), cleaning\condition seats, dress plastic with Vinylex. Has anoyone heard of this problem......any suggestions would really be appreciated! My wife is getting very frustrated with this, and I don`t know what to do!!!

jkochis
06-17-2002, 03:31 PM
I definitely would not apply any protectants. If plasticizers(sp?) are your problem, the protectant will likely trap them in longer. A good cleaning, perhaps even with rubbing alcohol (test in small area first) will likely work better. Park in a sunny spot, crack the windows and let the stuff work its way out of your vehicle.

06-17-2002, 11:37 PM
Where in mass are you, I do hire out for detailing if you want me to take a look at it...

swhtech
06-18-2002, 02:38 PM
I bought some ozium new car smell today, and I`m gonna try spraying that in the car when I get home.....see if that will help with the smell.

I also bought the turtle wax power out carpet cleaner. My wife things the cargo mat left it`s smell in the carpet where it was in the back....possible.....figured it was worth cleaning the carpets.

Any ideas???? Anyone?

Sharkie
06-18-2002, 03:17 PM
The new car smell may just make the car smell more like plastic but worth a shot. Maybe try Fabreeze and/or an odor absorber, Griot’s sells one for pretty cheap.

Adam