PDA

View Full Version : Did up the Dub this weekend...Thanks guys!

Figz
06-17-2002, 11:09 AM
I finally got a chance to put all the advice you guys have given me to the test this past weekend. I started with a Gold Class shampoo wash, then Mother`s clay bar, another gold class wash, 2 SMR coats applied with the PC, two coats of Klasse AIO, and finally, 3 coats of Klasse SG.

I think I may have been able to skip the clay part sctually. Even though I have never clayed the car in the two years I have owned it, the clay was reasonably clean after I did the whole car. I did notice the car shined a little better when I washed off the clay QD. Anyway, then I went into the SMR. Funny part about this was that I totally blew up the yellow pad. I guess I tapped the door handle one to many times and eventually the pad separated from the velcro that is glued to it. Luckily the pad wasn`t on the car when this happend. Anyway, the SMR didn`t get a whole lot of the swirls out, I will try again and keep the PC at 6 instead of 5. It took a little while to get the hang of the polisher since I had never used one, but I thinkI am getting the hang of it. The AIO is a great product. Simple to apply and remove. The car had a great shine on it. The SG was a bit harder to remove. I know that the new thing with SG is to let it cure for a night then reapply, but there are some folks who still believe that you don`t need to wait. According to a thread that I printed out a couple months ago (I beleive JIMWH wrote a the instructions) I should wait 20minutes for the SG to dry then remove it. That is what I did. I then proceeded to apply a the other coats in that manner.

Afterwards, I used Forever Black on the plastic and rubber trim that was turning white. It seems to have worked quite well. However, I will reserve complete judgment of this product until after it rains.

Overall, the car looks real nice. I need to keep working on the swirls however, but the PC and Klasse has definitely helped to diminish the appearance and the nasty swirls.

I would really like to thank everyone who has helped me get my car into shape by writing long detailed answers to my various questions.

Tom

94 VW Corrado

86 Jetta coupe

imported_doug
06-17-2002, 11:14 AM
Hey, Figz - sounds great. Pictures?

When the velcro backing separates from the pad it is usually because it has been washed too many times, or because you let it spin up to high speed while not on the car. When there is some resistance (i.e., when you`re using it) it orbits. But with no resistance - holding it in the air, it will spin very, very fast - and the centrifugal force will tear it. The trick is to just put it onto the surface before turning it on, and turn it off before lifting it. If you do need to lift for a moment, you can actually just press on the pad from underneath with your fingers to slow it right down.

Figz
06-17-2002, 12:47 PM
I would love to post some pics, and I do have a digital camera, but I don`t have an account to store them on. Do you need one to post a pic here?

Tom

94 VW Corrado

86 Jetta coupe

Sharkie
06-17-2002, 12:51 PM
You can upload pics as a registered user. I think the current size limit is 512x512 and one pic/post.

Adam

Figz
06-17-2002, 01:20 PM
Where do I find info about posting pics? If no such info exists, who do I send the pics to?

Tom

94 SLC

86 Jetta coupe

Sharkie
06-17-2002, 01:25 PM
Just use the attach file feature when you post/reply.

Figz
06-17-2002, 01:37 PM
Cool, I will try to get a pic up in the next couple of days.

Tom