PDA

View Full Version : can i use 3M fine cut rubbing compund and hand glaze for this?

mazdaspeedmiata
06-16-2002, 11:14 PM
my car is BLACK, and i love a clean car, i am tired of waxing it and seeing hairline scratched all over the car, when its not sunny, the car looks gorgeous, and most people in the sun cant even TELL that they are, as the owner (i am sure this relates to all of you) i see them, i dont think they are swirlmarks, it is a dark car, i read that they show up better on dark cars, but i aim a shoplight on my car (roxanne) from across the garage and it helps me remove these, the car is always garaged, except at work, where there are NO trees, i dont like sap either fellas. it stays in at night and when its not driven. i currently use meguiars and have done enough paint work myself (rear lip spoiler, front chin spoiler) to realize that these things (the 3M fine cut rubbing compound and 3M hand glaze) really do remove fine scratches, i just cant seem to find a wax that will work very well, HELP! i was directed to by the folks at www.miataforum.com and they said you were the "gods of car care" HELP ME!!!:bow

volfan
06-17-2002, 02:25 PM
Well, if you want a good wax for 3M products, I`d go with a synthetic like Zainos or Klasse. Zainos is much better, and can only be bought at www.zainobros.com It is well worth it. I know certain waxes don`t work well with 3M products (mostly the fillers), so maybe that is why. I don`t care for carnuba waxes as much, so get a synthetic, zaino`s all the way

Brad B
06-17-2002, 04:25 PM
Keep in mind that the trick is using the proper compounds to remove the scratches and swirls. Waxes and sealants are protectants and generally will not hide anything beyond the faintest swirls on your car. And don`t count on it doing much at all for a black car.

So do as much research, and spend as much time on swirl removal as you do on your wax. PREP is the key to a perfect finish.

Check the archives!:xyxthumbs

imported_doug
06-17-2002, 09:27 PM
if you have black, youre going to be after swirls all the time.

1) Learn to reduce the speed with which you acquire them through proper washing and drying

2) There are plenty of 3M compounds between fine-cut rubbing compound and glaze, most notably (in order of aggressiveness, most to least) fine Cut Rubbing Compound Finesse-IT II finishing compound Swirl Mark Remover Finesse-It III Machine Glaze Imperial Hand GlazeI think you should rarely need #1 above, and should avoid it except when you really need it.

3) Glazes and polishes can really help bring black out - but they are all incompatible with polymers except as a top-coat - which is a pain starting the next time you want to beef up the polymer layer. My advice: stick with carnaubas. They look different (and in my opinion, BETTER) on black. And they lasty long enough that once you learn how, you`ll be removing swirls before they wear off anyway. Souveran is the best product I know of in this area.

Andre'
06-18-2002, 01:32 AM
Like Brad B said Prep work is the key.

3M`s Finesse-IT2, and 3m`s swirl mark remover will be the two main products you will use to remove swirl marks from your cars finish.

Using a polymer sealant or carnauba is up to you. Polymer sealants offer long lasting high gloss protection with UV blockers. A good paint sealant can last 6 months or more, with proper care. Carnaubas offer a deeper, wet look but don`t last as long at best 3 months. It`s all up to you but im my opinion i would go with a sealant like Klasse, if you like you can top off Klasse with a good carnauba like Blitz or Souveran.

BTW Welcome to the forum.:wavey