PDA

View Full Version : Z-2 or Z-5?

Beach15
06-16-2002, 05:51 PM
Okay, okay, I`ve tried Klasse AIO, SG, and most recently Platinum (last week!), but now I must try Zaino! Being on a budget, I need to buy only the basics and have narrowed it down to this:

1) Z-5

2) Z-6 spray

3) Z-7 wash

4) ZFX

The reason why Zaino? A few actually. One, I`ve never gotten the really thick glass-dipped look I`ve so desperately been looking for. Two, after applying 5 coats of Platinum last week over 3 x AIO and 3 x SG, it looked and felt terrific. Then I washed it yesterday and not only does it look dulled, but is not slick at all anymore. Haven`t used the Platinum QD yet, and that may be why, but I haven`t had time and didn`t want to go spraying and wiping something on again over paint with new swirls (crap!). Still love the Platinum ease though and will keep it, but want to see if I`ve really been missing anything with Zaino.

So now, I`d rather only buy one for now (Z-2 or Z-5) that is, so is Z-5 the better to buy first? I do have some very minor swirls and light marks that only I can notice, but still am not impressed from different reviews about Z-5 actually doing much for the swirls, but it`s worth a try.

Oh, and I know a lot of you have said you`d never use Zaino on black (too reflective and not deep), but I love the pics I`ve seen of Z`d black beaut`s and want to try it out for myself. Could very well still continue using Platinum though.

Am I nuts? Most likely! But, if I wasn`t so anal about our cars, I know they`d be washed with a sponge, dried with old towels, and then smothered in $2 Turtle Wax if someone else did it!

Beach15
06-16-2002, 06:03 PM
Oh well, maybe I really am nuts! I just went outside to look at the car and the gloss seems pretty much the same as it was before when it had 5 fresh coats of Platinum. I think it just needs a little QD and then new coat to freshen it up.

Still want to try Zaino though! I can`t believe I spend so much money on car cleaning products, as I never really though too much about it before. Yes, I actually used to use Turtle Wax too! Then, I found the internet, and have been buying new stuff like crazy since!

drewski59
06-16-2002, 06:48 PM
You can really get the look you`re going for with Zaino, the way that you like to layer;)

For minor swirls, Z5 would be the ticket.

The reason that I think the Zaino system is the best out there is because it doesn`t lose its luster after a wash or two.

The Z7 wash contains polymers that actually enhance the gloss(unlike the harsh Platinum wash!)...

Those basics are just fine. You can put up to 3 layers a day on with the Zfx! I`ll personally never go back to any other wax/sealant! Good luck and post pics, plus a review comparing the gloss/slickness to Platinum?!?! I know you`ll be pleased in both of those areas!

:wavey

Beach15
06-16-2002, 08:07 PM
I`m going to order some Zaino tomorrow. I just can`t believe how much crap I`ve bought over the past 3 months trying to get those "special" results without spending the dough on the Z. For two straight years I listened to 300M club members sing the praises of Zaino, but never bought any, deciding instead to "try it sometime soon". Well, the soon never came, our 300M never looked all that great with me using cheap stuff, and then we traded it and I vowed to get more involved in the detailing. Searching for a few weeks, I ended up with Klasse, thinking it was really what I wanted. It does give great protection and a nice shine, but doesn`t have much of an awe-factor. So next off was the Platinum that I ordered, received, and used just last week. It looked great and was so much easier to apply than the Klasse, but still didn`t appear to be at Zaino levels. Then when I washed it yesterday, the deal was sealed, and I wasn`t enthused about it anymore.

So, in the process, I`ve spent enough to buy the full Zaino product line about 3 times! I wish I just would have went with my first instinct and bought it in the first place!

imported_BretFraz
06-16-2002, 08:12 PM
Look at it this way - its all about getting an education. Who`s to say that if you bought Zaino you would not wonder if Klasse or Platinum or something else would provide a similar shine?

I`m always trying new products and enjoy the discovery process. I don`t feel there is such a thing as the perfect product. Keep trying them and have fun experimenting. I`m sure you`ll like the Zaino.

Beach15
06-16-2002, 08:21 PM
So here’s the situation. We’re leaving on Saturday for vacation in Nags Head, NC so my mother is taking our 69’ Malibu to work so I can have all day Friday to detail the Avalanche before the trip. I’ve told her about how you use Dawn to “strip†wax and other leftover stuff off of a car before applying something like Zaino, to which I got “Not on my car you’re not.†Well, I’ve been doing it before Klassing my customer’s cars and it’s worked well, so I’m going to do it to the Av while she’s at work. I also just bought a Mother’s clay bar kit so it will be getting clayed also. Hopefully, I can order the Zaino and get it here by Friday morning, so I can have 3 layers on before she gets home in the evening. Also, every time I order something I just tell her I’m ordering more supplies and she never asks what they are, so I don’t think it’ll be a problem. If all goes well, she’ll be surprised when she gets home!

My biggest problem with the other polishes/sealants was losing the fresh luster after a wash. Sure QD’ing helps, but they should still look and feel better than they do, especially the Platinum. From what I’ve heard, a Zaino finish only gets better with a Z-7 wash, and even better yet with some Z-6. True?

Beach15
06-16-2002, 08:34 PM
Any real world user tips on applying the Zaino for the first time? About the only things I`ve read of before are problems with streaking or problems with it not drying. Using ZFX, I think that`ll minimize the risk of drying or streaking problems, but you never know.

I`ve seen the Zaino applicator, does it work well? Also, the less you use, the better, so what are some good application tips? If I`m going to put 3 layers on (hopefully!) would I need more than 1 applicator to do it properly?

Ahh...Sal just emailed me--what a nice guy to deal with, and so prompt! At least it`s good to know there`s such great product support!

Oh crap! I just remembered, I have to buy some towels! We don`t have any white cotton towels in the house, so I may have to make a trip some day this week to the store, or order some.

I can`t wait to see the results!

buldog
06-17-2002, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by Beach15

I`ve seen the Zaino applicator, does it work well? Also, the less you use, the better, so what are some good application tips? If I`m going to put 3 layers on (hopefully!) would I need more than 1 applicator to do it properly?

Get some foam applicator pads. Myself and others on this board like them better.

Yes get more than one in case you drop it.

Wet the applicator with water and ring it out good, Keep misting the pad with Z6.

Use Z-6 between each and every coat of Z-5 or Z-2.

ultrajim49
06-17-2002, 04:42 AM
Hi,

Beach (a place where I `d rather would be right now `cause the temp is way to hot to work but that was Off Topic)

As weird as it may seem , you realy can`t go wrong when you follow Sal`s directions , they may sound like an infomercial, but they are Oh so true:xyxthumbs

Realy spend as much time as you can on the prep. of you finnish, the better done prep , the better results with Z.

Believe it when Z states 100% optical correct , allso true.

Have fun,

happy Zanofying:wavey

samiam513
06-17-2002, 06:41 AM
I put layer #2 (of 5 of course:D ) on my truck yesterday. My dd asked me to stop so he could try to catch up with his car.

My truck looks AWESOME!!! :bounce

Beach15
06-17-2002, 08:34 PM
Thanks to someone telling my about JCV Industries in Pennsylvania who sells Zaino, the guy emailed me and I can`t get the Zaino for the same price as through Sal but have it here by Wednesday if I were to order tonight.

Now, I just need some towels!

Chris A
06-18-2002, 03:10 AM
I ordered from Zano Z1,Z2 and Z5 but did not get the Z6 and Z7.

My plan was to Dawn wash then 3M SMR Then Clay using Miguires QD as a lube. Then wash again with Zymol shampoo. Next would be Z1 then go over it with a few coats of Z5 and finish with Z2. Now after reading a few more posts it seems as though I should have bought the Z6 and Z7

Will my plan be ok or should I order The rest of the Z before starting.. I am just getting into this detailing stuff not as a pro but I just want my car to stand out as good as some of the pictures I have seen here.. BTW my car is Black Metalic.

ultrajim49
06-18-2002, 03:51 AM
Hi,

Welcome

In My opinion it`s better to first wash with Zymol and after SMR and/or claying then Dawn wash.

Only then you are sure you start with a clean wax,filler,residue-free finish.

If you are 110% sure that zylol has no waxes in it , it`s safe for further use with Z,but Z-carwash is kind of part of the Z-system,

so , you miss some extra shine .

Same goes for Meguiars QD .

If you can, buy Z6 & Z7 , you won`t regret it.

Happy Z-ing

:xyxthumbs

Chris A
06-18-2002, 01:58 PM
Happy Z-ing

Thanks, I think I will be placing another order soon...