PDA

View Full Version : Help me sort out my garage!

Chinkzilla
06-16-2002, 08:54 AM
Ok, going to do a some detailing today..

I`ve been lurking around for quite some time and I`ve learned a lot! I must say you autopians really know your stuff. :bow:

Here`s what I have in my garage, I`ve picked it up over time sorta hodge podged it together from what people have recommended. Could you guys help me figure out what order to use them in?

Dawn dishwashing liquid (non-ultra)

Mother`s California Gold wash

Mother`s Paint Cleaner (step 1)

Mother`s Polish/Glaze (step 2)

Mother`s clay bar kit

Meguiars #26 Hi Tech Paste wax

Meguiars Gold Class Liquid wax

3m Imperial Hand Glaze

Meguiars Professional Swirl Remover

Meguiars Quik Detailer

Meguiars Final Inspection

Mother`s QD

Various applicator pads, terry cloths, and diapers

I`ve learned that foam pads are MUCH easier to use than terry cloth applicator pads, and that clay bars rule! As you can see I`ve been buying whatever people have been recommending and what i`ve been seeing on the shelves, to make for a nice confusing jumble of products. If one of you experts could put the above in order for me, i`d be eternally grateful. Also any tricks you have on application or removal for the specific product would be very helpful as well.

My last detail (a little over a month ago, car was brand new) went something like this.

Wash with Mothers car wash

Clay bar and QD whole car

Meguiars Professional swirl remover on few dealer scratches :mad:

Mother`s Paint Cleaner (step 1)

Mother`s Glaze/polish (step 2)

Wax with (1 layer) Gold Class liquid

Pass out from exhaustion

It worked out great, I really liked the liquid gold class, easy on easy off. I was wondering if I could gain any depth or shine from layering the products in a different order or adding some of my other products to the mix. For instance, should I put the paste on top of the liquid or vice versa?

Soon I will get a PC and add AIO and SG to the lineup, but for now this is what i`ve got. And I`m now broke from buying all this crap! :D

Sorry so long guys, any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! :xyxthumbs

Bobby G
06-16-2002, 10:43 AM
Chinkzilla,

I must say, you did fill your shopping cart. I might suggest that some of your products are redundant. For example, a paint cleaner is just a polish by another name. Also, it`s not likely that waxes can be mixed with good results.

I think it`s great that you got a nice range of products, but you need to understand the purpose of each... don`t try to use them all in the same detail.

Where to start? Please explain the condition of your paint. With that information, some of the experts on the forum can help guide you on which polish to use. Does your paint have a specific problem (i.e., scuffs, swirls, spider webs)? Learn how to identify and describe problems. Then you can learn what products to use for repair and spot treatment.

If you have not already studied my detailing articles (http://www.autopia-carport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=51), it`s a good place to start. If you want more information, the are a lot of good books (http://www.autopia-carport.com/bookstore.php) available.

:wavey

db

Chinkzilla
06-16-2002, 11:20 AM
Haha!

I thought they might be redundant, that`s why I posted that huge list :)

I aquired that collection through random recommendations I had heard here and there, and thought you guys might help me weed out the uneccesary items. I could always pawn them off on my girlfriend and brother.

I have a Gray Lustre car, which you can see by clicking on the link in my signature. It is basically brand new, only 3800 miles on it, but I get it washed quite frequently at the local hand-wash. Unfortunately it`s hit or miss with those guys, sometimes you get someone who is really careful and uses longitudinal (sp?) strokes to dry/wash your car, changes towels frequently. And sometimes you get the guy who dries your whole car with one dirty towel.

As a consequence, although I keep my car garaged 50% of the time and always keep the dirt off, I have some light swirl marks that can only be seen from certain angles. I was hoping that by layering on enough wax or sealant I could prevent this from happening as much in the future.

After spending some time here, I`ve considered cancelling my membership at the hand wash, even though they do a relatively good job and use only meguiars products. No one could be as anal as me!

edit : Just thought I`d add I`m planning to buy your book soon. This place is great! :up

samiam513
06-16-2002, 11:32 AM
I don`t think you can prevent swirls with wax. Thats what I have found alteast. When some people buff wax they create swirls. That why I don`t think that was possible.

imported_BretFraz
06-16-2002, 08:23 PM
To dovetail on what David said, it sounds like you really need to develop a detailing strategy first, then buy products that will help your attain your goals set forth in that strategy. Too many novices read info and think its all about using Product A with Product B and obtain Result C. Then they come back and complain that their car doesn`t look like it should or that they have some unforseen problem.

Figure out first what you want your car to look like. Then decide how much time and effort you are willing to put forth to get there. The products you currently have are fine for now. As you get more experienced your eyes will become more discriminating and you`ll want to seek out different products to obtain different results. Or maybe you`ll be happy as is and not want to mess with success. Each is fine but you have to decide first what is important.

You have an excellent canvas to work with: A brand new car with a good paint job is by far the easiest to detail and maintain. Focus on results, not products. Experiment with techniques and tools but not both at the same time. Keep it simple and you won`t screw yourself into the ground looking for something that doesn`t exist.

Good luck, grasshopper.:D

Chinkzilla
06-17-2002, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by bretfraz

Good luck, grasshopper.:D

thank you masta :D