PDA

View Full Version : PI-3 or Meg. #9

thevolvoguy
06-15-2002, 10:03 PM
Which one should I buy? I have looked at both and they seem to have the same purpose, and both are quality names. I have heard 9 can leave a haze if youre not carefull. Any opinons?

Sharkie
06-15-2002, 10:50 PM
I’ve used Meg’s #9.0 a few times and it leaves a great finish. But it seems to be more fillers than mechanical polish. Assuming removing swirls permanently is your goal, I vote for PI-3.

Adam

jr weeks
06-16-2002, 02:33 PM
The 3M stuff even states "no fillers" on those products, like Finesse-It II Finishing Material and Perfect-It III Machine Glaze. I have used the Meguiar`s #9 as a final finishing step (with a rotary)after the 3M, even though most people wouldn`t see a great need for it.

But I do agree the 3M is better at leveling swirls.

ALAN81
06-16-2002, 02:36 PM
I WOULD GO WITH 3M (and im a meguiars fan) in this case 3m is a better choice and I have both.

Chuckmotor
06-16-2002, 03:01 PM
I love Meguiar`s #9 2.0. I have had great results with it. But, like most of these people say, it probably has a lot more fillers than 3M. I have had incredible results removing swirls with 3M FI-II and a PC with a yellow pad, but I think PI-III might be a little harsh and leave some haze. #9 will not leave a haze, but FI-II and PI-III might, in which case you would want to follow up with #9.

Are we talking about the PI-III Machine Glaze?

buldog
06-16-2002, 03:54 PM
Had great success with 3M`s fine cut rubbing compound. Used with a grey waffle pad & PC.

Followed up with Meg #9 and wow what a difference it made to my 96 minivan. See my thread I can see the Clouds

http://www.autopia-carport.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10739

jkochis
06-16-2002, 04:10 PM
I think the hazing problem is operator error. Increase the speed on the PC, and the 3M abrasives will break down. Or you can use it, not increase the speed, and switch to a less abrasive product and spend more money. I prefer to increase the speed and break it down like it was meant to be used.

Malibu
06-17-2002, 03:37 AM
I have a decent amount of experience with PI-III and I can tell you that it will not leave a haze if used correctly. That is, as others have stated, fully "breaking down" the product. What I usually do is spread it with the PC on speed 2.5, increase the speed to 4 and do the final buff out at 5. Just make sure that you really work the product into the paint. After using the PC, there will still be some product on the surface, but that can just be wiped away, leaving a very glossy, swirl-free finish. I use the CMA yellow pad.

Mike