PDA

View Full Version : Layers upon layers

shirtman
06-15-2002, 09:29 PM
OK...based upon your suggestions, I have obtained the necessary ingredients, and have begin the work. Dawned the car completely to remove any remnants of the Griots I had on the car previously. I thien used the PPCL which worked out very nicely, providing a litterally squeeky clean surface. I have just completed an application of Klasse AIO. The paint is puuuuurfectly smooth, and although it was getting slightly dark, I detect just a few swirls under very close inspection. I guess the next step is Klasse SG. DO I have to wait until the AIO cures? DO I wait for each coat of SG to cure? How long? How about machine application? Any benefits other than time? How many coats?

WHew..... I plan on eventually getting to putting a coat or two of Souveran over the top for the final touch. Slthough this is a daly driver, I work hard at trying to maintain the finish.

Thanks for your sugggestions.:bow

Jeff

imported_killerjg
06-15-2002, 09:40 PM
For me AIO curing, no. Few may say yes, but everything here is technique.

SG, two thoughts here: some like 24 hrs, others, me say not. I usually give it an hour to dry then maybe an hour or two to "cure". I have gone back to back without any problems and I have used the 24 hr method with no noticeable difference. There is no wrong answer.

Machine app., with SG I have found by hand is just as quick vice the Porter. For my Odyssey I go ahead and use the PC because it`s a lot of real estate. You may get thinner coats with the PC, but there will be the person that has the opposite results. 5 coats seems to be the magic number. I like using SG so I have 20 plus over several months.

Not sure how much reading you`ve done, but thin thin thin is key. How about removal, what is your gameplan? This is usually where folks go `what the h.... I can`t get it off!`.

shirtman
06-16-2002, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the reply. I have been using a soft 100% cotton terry to remove and follow up with a microfiber. I do have a MF bonnet for the PC as well, but have not used it...Should that be a removal strategy?

I have read the mayor`s downloadable book, but it does not quite get to this level of detail.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Jeff

imported_killerjg
06-16-2002, 09:25 PM
No, I did not like the PC for removal. I like Showroom`s method, slightly damp MF towel works great. Makes it easy and saves a lot of time. I then chase it with a dry neatitems mf towel. I found with the PC I had to go over it again and again.

Good luck.