PDA

View Full Version : I NEVER thought I`d say this.... Dry Washing

imported_doug
06-15-2002, 12:46 PM
I never thought I`d say this - and most of you know me as pretty cautious - but I have found a dry washing method that works very well and is no riskier in terms of scratching than a regular wash. I am thrilled.

A while back I posted a thread about testing the California Car Duster (http://www.autopia-carport.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10615) very carefully under excellent lighting, and I concluded that it truly doesn`t scratch - even with a moderate layer of dust on the car. (It would probably be prudent to think of it as "minimizing" scratching, as opposed to "not" scratching. However I haven`t seen one scratch go in with it, in several applications. I usually brush 90 degrees to my usual rubbing pattern so I will know where the scratches came from.)

I`ve had the black Porsche home for several weeks, and I started dusting it every day. I can re-inforce that the CCD is an excellent product and it doesn`t seem to scratch. I did learn that if the surface is too hot it will leave some paraffin streaks - but these are easily QD`d away. I dusted frequently to minimize dust adhesion and to keep the layer thin, and QD`d when there was any oil-type smudges or fingerprints left. With so much dust removed, this makes QD`ing much safer, and brings the car back to its "recently waxed" condition. Well - I managed to keep up this routine over the weeks and I didn`t need to wash the car once! (And I can see the dust after a single drive.) Before, I was so scared to wipe when there was much dust at all that I felt I HAD to wash to safely remove it.

The other day it was very foggy at the Golden Gate Bridge, and I drove through it. I figured "moisture + dust = adhered dust" - CCD won`t get it off, will have to wash. But when I got home, I did in fact CCD the car, and then detail it. Because I was so concerned I did this in my dark garage with my "obsession lights" turned on - to be absolutely sure I wasn`t doing damage. I can`t believe it - but it worked. I`ve gotten more cavalier with the duster, too, using a little pressure to get adeqate fiber contact with the lower regions of the car.

All the "dry car wash" products I`ve seen are "spray on, wipe off" ones - I do not recommend this! BUT - if you dust first, and then use your fav. detail spray (in fact, in this case I`m using one with some carnauba in it) - it really, truly seems to be OK. What a pleasure! Of course I wouldn`t do this if the dusty car had been rained on, or had mud.

One caveat - dust can be hard to see. and wiping over dust is dangerous. So if you want to try this, PLEASE dust in the best lighting conditions you can get. Strong single-point light, as far from 90 degrees to the surface as possible, is the best way to light to see dust.

imported_Intel486
06-15-2002, 01:32 PM
Because of all the success you have had with the CCD I may have to get one.

shaf
06-15-2002, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Intel486

Because of all the success you have had with the CCD I may have to get one. Me too. Recently I`ve noticed my car getting lots of pollen and dust on it even from just sitting under the carport.

How are you supposed to dust vertical (or inverted? :p) surfaces though?

imported_doug
06-15-2002, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by 4DSC

How are you supposed to dust vertical (or inverted? :p) surfaces though?

Just hold the brush against it with light pressure. I`ve been using a combination of holding it close enough and a little speed so that the centrifugal force also holds the fibers out a bit on the inverted surfaces.

SergC
06-15-2002, 02:37 PM
I live in Arizona and, as you know,here is a,, dry heat ,,climat. Approc.330-340 ,,dry,, days.Ihave been doing ,whot you just described, for last 2or3 years.Iam so glad that you confirmed this. Ccd every day +QD ./Honestly, i had doubts about this ,,method,,Thanks,CARGUY! PS.My cars are Porsche Boxter S 2001/garage qween only521 miles/ 2000 Land Rover Discovery 2/my wife,s daily ride/ 1996 chevy/edelbrock,holley vortex supercharger and so.

rusky
06-15-2002, 02:42 PM
First off, let me compliment you on your choice of fine automobiles. Second, that self porschetriat of you is amazing. If I didn`t know any better, I`d think it was a mirror. So using the CCD you have had no problems with light dust on the finish huh? Glad to hear that.

Russ

RobD
06-16-2002, 07:24 PM
carguy,

Rob here(funcars). If you like the CCD for the car, I have a tip for you. I use the California mini duster (marketed as a dash duster) to remove light brake dust from the wheels, works well. I know brake dust is very abrasive, but if it`s light it won`t be a problem. Whatever minute scratches it may create, the silver wheel color will hide. I keep my wheels waxed (as I`m sure you do also), so the brake dust wipes right off with the mini duster. As you well know, it doesn`t take much of a drive to coat your freshly cleaned wheels with brake dust. Hope this helps. Rob

volfan
06-16-2002, 07:57 PM
Do you think it`s possible to use the California mini-duster as a regular car duster? I know it says it contains special waxes and what not for the dash. Will this effect Zainos at all?

Bobby G
06-16-2002, 08:24 PM
My CCD is 6+ years old and still going. Never a scratch.

ClayBartrug
06-16-2002, 08:49 PM
love my CCD.... saves many extra washes for me...

RobD
06-16-2002, 11:00 PM
Envenomed,

I guess you "could" use the mini duster on the car, but if you`ve never seen one in person, it is very small. Dusting the whole car with it would be time consuming. Also, if it`s going to streak / smear a little (and you`re not going to quick detail afterwards), better to see fewer passes by using the standard CCD. I can definitely see it being valuable in tight places. From what I understand, they both are treated with the same Paraffin wax and only differ in size. I wouldn`t think the CCD could have any adverse affect on the Zaino finish. RobD

imported_doug
06-16-2002, 11:55 PM
I have a mini-duster - i use it for minor details because I can keep it in the car. Never tought of using one on the wheels - I may give that a try - but I will buy a dedicated one for that purpose. You COULD dust the car with the mini-duster but it will take a good deal longer. I think the full-size model is probably safer too, since it distributes any accidental pressure across a much larger surface area.

imported_Intermezzo
06-17-2002, 01:21 AM
Carguy,

Great post! I wouldn`t even consider doing a QD or `bucket-washing` my car without lightly going over the entire car with a CCD first. It`s comforting to hear that you`re getting the same results.

Tony

jerry@robs
06-17-2002, 01:38 AM
CCD company should give Carguy loads of free products... his tests are probably more detailed than what the company has done... :) Great job...

If only I can get one here in Manila.... :nixweiss

RobD
06-17-2002, 08:47 AM
carguy,

Absolutely, get a mini duster just for the wheels, that goes without saying (though I guess I should have said it). You can imagine what brake dust does to it, I wouldn`t use it for anything else. I have a standard CCD which is approximately 10 years old and still works well, but the mini duster, when used on the wheels, should be replaced more often. I don`t think it could be cleaned, that brake dust is just bad. I replace my "wheel" mini duster every year or two. But try it, I think you`ll find it works well on wheels. RobD