PDA

View Full Version : Help me detail the 1998 Viper GTS

40thgto
06-13-2002, 11:10 PM
Autopian`s,

Has anyone ever used (3Mâ„¢ Perfect-Itâ„¢ III Machine Glaze 05937).

Here`s 3M`s description:

New glaze that quickly and effortlessly removes compound swirl marks and produces the high gloss, swirl-free finish that shops demand. This new glaze is optimized for today`s paints and with today`s refinisher in mind. The user will be amazed at how quickly it removes the swirl marks to leave a "show car" finish.

From my research on the site, some people feel it is less abrasive than Finesse-it II. Similar to 3M SMR, but without the oils. Sounds like a great product. My goal is to remove the minor swirls on my 98 Viper GTS (Metallic Silver with Blue Stripes), and not fill them. An oil free product seems ideal. My steps I plan to use are:

1.) A good wash with Dawn

2.) Clay (already did this a few months ago, so it should still be pretty smooth).

3.) 3M Perfect-It III Machine Glaze with PC (White pad?)

4.) Finish with a nice polish - Want to try Blackfire. Will probably use both Blackfire products with PC. Apply the Gloss Enhancing Polish, then finish up with the All Finish Paint Protection. Any tips on application with PC? Speed? Pad?

5.) Maintain with a good car wash (Any suggestion on a good car wash? I`ve heard the blackfire product tends to be to strong), and Blackfire deep gloss spray after wash.

6.) Apply Blackfire All Finish Paint Protection once a month or every other month to eliminate minor swirls and maintain shine.

*I`m hoping this method will maintain a 99% swirl free, extremely deep, reflective Viper.

Any suggestions? I`ve tried Zaino, and like the shine/durability, but I`m hoping Blackfire will do a little better in keeping the car swirl free without having to resort back to 3M products - at least for a good year. Looking forward to the shine as well, as Blackfire is supposed to be deeper - more carnuba like. Once I get the car swirl free, I have no problem applying maintanence coats of Blackfire once a month or ever other month. So durability is not much of an issue, but keeping it swirl free is. No flames from the Zaino crowd, as I do think it is a great product. Although, Z5 wasn`t very effective at filling in even the most minor swirls. Just my experience. Great shine and protection, though... The problem is swirls happen just from driving, and I need a product that will fill the swirls with one coat, once a month. Currently, the swirls are plentiful, so a 3M product is needed. But for maintanence, I`m hoping Blackfire will do the trick!

P.S. - I am very careful when washing the car, and use the ultimate drying technique on this page (Carguy). Of course once the car is swirl free, this will help prevent new ones.

Any suggestion, tips, or experiences will be greatly appreciated.

**Oh yeah. I saved for 10 years and finally got my dream car. A 1998 Dodge Viper GTS. Silver with Blue stripes. Only 1 of 43 in the color combo. The Silver is a light metalic. The Blue stripes are metalic as well. Medium to Dark blue. I do have pictures, but would prefer to post after the full detail. Thanks.

Any tips on using the PC would be appreciated as well, as I have never used one, but will be purchasing one before proceeding. I will probably purchase at Lowe`s PC7424, and then purchase the attachments at Classic Motoring Accessories.

Thanks for any help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

imported_capspackle
06-13-2002, 11:20 PM
Hey.. Welcome to the boards.. I am sure you`ll find everything you need here.. Very friendly, and informative people..

Post some pictures of your car.. I`d love to see that Viper

drewski59
06-13-2002, 11:44 PM
Your routine sounds great!:xyxthumbs

Funny, though, I think Z5 does a pretty good job of hiding the minor swirls, although not so good at the more major ones!:rolleyes:

I`d try BF, too...just minus the wash!

If I had a darker car, I`d jump on BF topped with Souveran-that combo is awesome!

But Zaino makes my car about as deep and reflective and wet as I could have ever expected!!!

Welcome to the forum!

volfan
06-14-2002, 11:32 AM
Start with a less abrasive compound,such as finesse it II, by 3M. You should then move on to Swirl mark remover, and follow up with some imperial hand glaze to fill in the remaining scratches. Do a search, you`ll find ALOT of info on what 3M products to use, or give 3M an email, they helped me out. Apply all of these with the PC, and make sure to look up what speeds to use.:xyxthumbs And a Dodge Viper, puts my little cobra to shame!:bow