PDA

View Full Version : Woudn`t it be bad to apply SG every two weeks?

couch16
06-13-2002, 05:04 PM
Woudn`t it be bad to apply SG every two weeks? Here`s my theory:

One of the key factors in detailing your car is to clean the car all the way down to the clear coat. All wax, contaminents, etc. must be removed first.

Then you use products like AIO to help clean and seal the paint.

Finally, you apply a product like SG to provide a hard sealant to the car. Once SG cures, additional layers could be applied.

Let`s suppose you apply four layers of SG this way.

You decide that you want the "ultimate" protection for your vehicle, so you commit to applying a new layer of SG every two weeks.

That seems like a bad idea to me! After two weeks of driving the car, new contaminents are sure to get stuck to the car. The kind of contaminents that can only be removed by something like clay.

Your decision to add another layer of SG will only cover up these contaminents, sealing them under the SG. Over time, these layers will have trapped lots of contaminents that could effect your shine or work their way down to the paint where they could do real damage.

Ok...this is all theory. But doesn`t it seem plausible?

imported_Intermezzo
06-13-2002, 05:18 PM
Keep in mind that any layer of sealant is exponentially thinner than any contaminant that might get on your car. If you do seal in a contaminant using something like Zaino or Klasse, claying right over it will still remove the contaminant along with the portion of sealant that is in contact with the contaminant. However, this is just MY experience. I could be wrong.

Also, if you are talking about the kind of contaminants that could actually do damage to your clearcoat, then they`ll leave an imprint on your clearcoat whether or not you `seal` them in.

Again, this is just my opinion. I`m kinda curious to hear what other ppl have to say about this.

YoSteve
06-13-2002, 05:23 PM
The first time I Klassed my car (long long time ago ;)), I sorta cheezed on the paint prep (naive beginner). Anyways, when I decided to prematurely redo my car so I could do a more thorough job, it was a biznitch to remove the Klasse to get to the contaminants that I had "sealed" in.

You can test your contaminants by using some AIO. Get a light peferably white microfiber sponge and some AIO and apply it to some of the lower parts of your car (after a good washing). If there are a lot of contaminants on your car that comes of from the AIO, then it might not be the best idea to cover that up with SG.

This is why twice a year I garage my car for a week and apply 5 coats of SG after a good prep. I can minimize the contaminants between coats. It`s what I recommend. I also feel that when you add some carnauba to your Klasse it protects from these contaminants itself. I feel that the contaminants adhere somewhat to the oily layer and when the wax wears off or you wash it off some of the contaminants come of with it. It`s another reason why they`re a good combo.

Check out the Klasse Poll in my signature, you will see that most of the users SG 3 or 4 times a year. The added bonus is keeping layers between the SG clean.

If I were to add SG throughout the year, however, I would clean lightly with AIO and then add a couple of layers of SG for to make up for it. That way you can quench your desire to layer and still have a clean pallete to work with.

Hope that helps.

imported_Intermezzo
06-13-2002, 05:36 PM
YoSteve,

Maybe I`m misunderstanding you, but I interpret your poll as evidence that more people continuously layer KSG as opposed to only layering KSG coats when stripping everything down and starting over.

The question you ask is, "on average how often do you SG inbetween stripping?"

23 people responded that they add KSG layers between stripping and 11 only add KSG layers WHEN they strip everything down and start over.

My own Klasse poll I posted before yours indicates a similar pattern.

YoSteve
06-14-2002, 08:37 AM
I think the difference in interpretation is due to the 2 and 3 month people. If you strip twice a year and reapply SG every 2 to 3 months; it means you reapply without stripping at like once or twice inbetween full coats. I personally don`t consider that layering a lot. Well perhaps not as much as the 1/month, 1/two-weeks, 1/week crowd.

But yes technically there are 10 people that actively layer SG upon non pre AIO`ed finish, but it`s only done once or twice between full details. They should at least be put in a gray area category.

I put the poll up to see how durable people think Klasse is. Not saying that people who apply it every week don`t think that Klasse is durable, but people that Klasse only 2, 3, or 4 times a year definately think it`s durable.

To those 20 something people, I actually discourage the adding of layers of SG inbetween full detailing. Especially if you skimp on washing the car regularly. A good hand washing takes a long relatively longer time and should be done every week. I think if you`re going to add a layer of SG it should be preceded by a quick work in of AIO to remove the surface contaminants. I also think that if you feel the need to have to wax something, then take it out on something really cool like Souveran or Blitz. Your car will not only look better but water will bead more and washing will seem easier. Plus it`s easier to tell if your carnauba is failing because the beading will tone itself down because what is left after carnauba fails is the Klasse and not the fresh paint.

imported_Intermezzo
06-14-2002, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by YoSteve

I put the poll up to see how durable people think Klasse is. Not saying that people who apply it every week don`t think that Klasse is durable, but people that Klasse only 2, 3, or 4 times a year definately think it`s durable.

Congratulations Steve, looks like you created a win-win situation for Klasse durability. If people select the layer-between major sessions option, then hey ----> it doesn`t mean it`s not durable. If people do not layer between major sessions, then HEY! look how durable this stuff is!! LOL

I don`t need a poll to tell me how durable Klasse is. I think Klasse`s durability has been pretty well established here.. :xyxthumbs

shaf
06-14-2002, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by YoSteve

(SNIP)...if you feel the need to have to wax something, then take it out on something really cool like Souveran or Blitz. Your car will not only look better but water will bead more and washing will seem easier. Plus it`s easier to tell if your carnauba is failing because the beading will tone itself down because what is left after carnauba fails is the Klasse and not the fresh paint. That`s my thinking exactly! :) I plan on the twice a year Klasse application with wax in between. I wasn`t too thrilled about reports of Klasse sheeting, but since I`d be wax topping anyway the car would still be beading most of the time. Also I figure if I accidentally wax over any contamination it`s not such a big deal.