PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - How To Wash Your Car In Between Paint Cleaners/Waxing...

PJStyles
06-13-2002, 10:09 AM
I`m curious... I did a search but couldn`t really find a response on it. How often are you guys using paint cleaners and waxing products and in between that time, what do you use to wash your cars? Do you just use regular soap and water and dry your car and that`s it?

I`d be interested to get some feedback on this. I`m currently using Meguiar`s Deep Crystal system for my car but I`m confused as to what to do in between those times where I use the paint cleaner, polish and wax.

Thanks!

PJStyles

DETAILKING
06-13-2002, 10:15 AM
If the car gets driven daily, I would wash it once a week, every 2 weeks MAX. Polish, clay, and use a paint cleanser as needed, no more than twice a year though, typically. If you are using meguires wax, I would apply it once every two months Minimum. Also, pick up some gold class car wash for washing and some final inspection quick detailer to finish up after each wash.........

PJStyles
06-13-2002, 10:58 AM
Perfect... thanks for the feedback... Not sure what I was thinking posting this in the University forum... I must have been sleeping :)

PJStyles

P.S - Can someone please move this post to the detailing forum. Thanks!

2wheelsx2
06-13-2002, 11:27 AM
Welcome, PJ. I think this actually belongs here. If you run some searches, you`ll see that these types of questions all come into University.

I see you live in Toronto. I am in Vancouver, and it rains a lot more here. In your climate, especially in the summer, you may want to go to a polymer system, especially if your car is dark. The wax won`t last too long once it gets into the high of summer.

In your situation, DK`s suggestions would work great. What I do is use cleansers and clay as needed in sections, but I add a layer of sealant once a month or so (not really needed, but I like the look, and enjoy doing it). I am using Meguiar`s #20. If you use the carwash sparingly, the wax will hold up better. The instructions usually tell you to put in too much.

PJStyles
06-13-2002, 07:42 PM
So where do you get your products from? Walmart? CDN Tire? Tell me the exact system you use to wash your car. I`m actually getting a new car and it`ll be silver and want to make sure I look after it. I was going to use Meguiar`s Deep Crystal System but I believe it uses a Caranuba wax... which won`t last much in the summer...

So back to square one. Given that you are fully aware of the climate here in Toronto, what would you recommend? I`m looking for a system that is good but also one that won`t take me lik 6 hours to do... What I had in mind was :

a) Wash

b) Paint Cleaner

c) Polish

d) Wax

I would use these steps only once every 3-4 months.. and in between just use a regular wash and dry with perhaps a quick detailer on the entire car... What do you think of this? ANy feedback would be greatly appreciated since I"m new to all this.

PJStyles

eboller
06-13-2002, 09:37 PM
Go with Zaino for you "waxing" system and use their car wash too. Since you say you would only wax every few months, Zaino is one of the only choices that will last that long. Klasse may as well but i`m not as familiar.

Check out www.zainobros.com and do some searches in these boards about Zaino.

Since your car is new and you decide on Zaino you can get Z2 and ZFX. Also use Z6 and the Z7 carwash. You can also clay the car as suggested which most suggest every 6 months. Personally, I didn`t bother myself on the new car, but I also would rather drive the car then spend all day on it. =).

Anyway, Zaino is my suggestion and it sounds your timeline fits with that. Maybe Klasse. Some others may have different suggestions I`m sure.

Eric