PDA

View Full Version : Steel wool on windows

vdubrick
06-13-2002, 07:28 AM
Hi,

I`m trying to get rid of some wiper blade marks on the windshield. I`ve tried using Autoglym Glass Polish, but it didn`t help. I`ve read that steel wool should do the job.

Which one should I use ? #00, #000 or #0000 ?

Thanks

Deckard

Mass. Wine Guy
06-13-2002, 09:12 AM
I`ve read about steel wool successfully being used on windows, definitely the 0000. And certainly after you`ve washed the glass very well.

imported_Intel486
06-13-2002, 05:14 PM
Glass windows it is fine but don`t use it on your windshield as most of them aren`t pure glass anymore and will scratch. Also, don`t use it on tinting.

porterdog
06-13-2002, 09:23 PM
What then?

Robert

jerry@robs
06-13-2002, 10:06 PM
yeah, even scrubbing pads scratched the hell out of my windshield... it worked well on my side glass and rear... but when i did it to the windshield, swirls galore.

laynlow
06-13-2002, 10:10 PM
Modern windshields are laminated with plastic to keep them from sending glass fragments through the passenger compartment in an accident. Side and rear windows are tempered so that they break into small round glass fragments without sharp edges when broken.

porterdog
06-14-2002, 07:13 AM
Sure, but the plastic is the center layer and as such is not going to come into contact with the steel wool unless you work it for a realllllly long time...

Seems like Intel is talking about something else.

R

getfit74
06-14-2002, 08:09 AM
Windshields are all glass with a layer of plastic sandwiched inside to prvent shattering in an accident. I have used 000 steel wool with excellent results to clean heavily soiled windshields. Just soak the windshield with your favorite glass cleaner and lighly "buff" with the steel wool and follow up with a clean cloth. Then just clean the windshield with another shot of windshield cleaner and a fresh cloth. Always use at least a 000 grade steel wool, the more 0`s the finer and gentler the steel wool. I usaually follow up with a fine glass polish.

Andre'
06-14-2002, 04:33 PM
:nono Don`t use steel wool on todays automotive glass, the glass has a high polymer content making the glass very soft.

If you have a pc or a rotary, buff the glass using a foam pad and FI2, than buff it with a fine polish.

imported_Tony
06-14-2002, 05:12 PM
I recall a post where a detailer requested information on how to get scratches out of a windshield left by steel wool. I don`t recall any good answers. Please be very careful. If you are determined to use steel wool be sure to try a very small test area and see how it would work. I would not do it.

Just my 2 cents.

rstype
06-14-2002, 08:24 PM
Yup, and some luxury and import car companies coat their windshields with a permanent sillica coating which helps with water beading.