PDA

View Full Version : Differnce b/w 3m Hand Glze and 3m Machine Polish

ShannanC
06-12-2002, 07:57 PM
Ok, Right now I`m using 3M Hand Glaze when I polish my car, but I was reading on here and it said that glazes only temporarily hide scrathes and swirls and dont last long. I`ve read about 3m machine Polish (FI-II I think it is?) and I`m wondering what the difference is between the two and which would be better to use? Thanks

laynlow
06-12-2002, 09:21 PM
Hand glaze is a polish. Its job is to wet the paint and help hide swirls by filling them. You need to wax after applying hand glaze to seal in its effects. Hand glaze is often applied frequently on fresh paint to provide some form of protection without sealing the paint. This allows the fresh paint to finish curing.

FI-II is an abrasive compound used to polish the paint and remove swirls through its abrasive action. You still need to wax after its application to seal in the polish portion of its effects.

One product is not better than the other, they both have specific uses.

porterdog
06-13-2002, 07:23 AM
...could I IHG and S100 over my Klasse twins?

Robert

laynlow
06-13-2002, 10:36 AM
A good carnuba would serve you better. In your case the twins are providing the gloss and wet look. A glaze is not needed.

ShannanC
06-13-2002, 03:29 PM
could you use the FI-II then follow up with the HG for a richer shine or is it not really nessacary?

laynlow
06-13-2002, 09:18 PM
Both are polishes, the FI-II adds diminishing abrasives to tackle swirls. While you might see a s l i g h t increase in shine, IMO it wouldn`t be worth the time.

I used to use Meguiars swirl remover in place of their show car glaze when needed. I always thought that I could see an improvement with the show car glaze, but it was very minimal.

I guess if your so inclined and have the time, you certainly won’t hurt anything using both.

mrdetailer
06-28-2002, 06:49 PM
3M makes the best polishes in the business IMO. Imperial Hand glaze is designed to be used by hand and has a heavier grit. I recently purchased 3M Perfect-It Foam Polishing Pad Glaze and Swirl Remover It is meant to be machine applied and has a finer grit. When used correctly it has less residue. I`ve used both by machine and found they work well.