PDA

View Full Version : SMR for an hour???

samiam513
06-11-2002, 09:06 PM
I used SMR on my door tongiht inorder to take out my swirls. I did it for about 45 min to an hour on JUST the passenger side door. Not all the swirls came out.

I am using the SMR for dark vehicles (Red truck)

I am using Meguiars foam pads.

I am going side to side strokes. NOT circles.

I am wiping exceess away with a MF.

Whaat am I doing wrong?

BradE
06-11-2002, 09:08 PM
SMR is probably not abrasive enough to handle the swirls you have, keep in mind this stuff is a very fine mostly "finishing" abrasive. Step up to something like 3M Finesse-It II Finishing Material Machine Polish.

imported_doug
06-11-2002, 09:30 PM
what speed did you use? how much pressure? which foam pads?

this is MORE time than needed - but if you were on speed 2 and used a buffing/finishing pad with light pressure, you would not have gotten much work done. It SHOULD take many minutes - but not that much. I use FULL SPEED to start, with a cutting pad (CMA Yellow) - and moderate pressure for the first several minutes. Once the material has gotten quite dry I reduce pressure and spend several more minutes to get the most of the now-dimished abrasives` polishing action.

If the swirls are really deep, you might need to start with something even more aggressive - next step up is Finesse-IT II finishing compound; up from that is Finesse-It II Fine Cut rubbing Compound. I bought some - fortunately I`ve never had to use it (yet.)

samiam513
06-11-2002, 09:54 PM
I don`t have a orbital. Well I do but it sucks so i do everything by hand. The yelow pads i was talking about were the ones from wally world they sell like 3 to a pack.