PDA

View Full Version : what is a cheap way to improve performance on a nissan maxima 1997

Pages : [1] 2

jbling
06-11-2002, 10:53 AM
i have a 97` nissan maxima SE and i want to improve its performance, but i dont know where to start. I want more hp and better brakes, i have high performance tires, and they help a little and i use quality gas...any ideas??????

imported_Erik Mejia
06-11-2002, 11:21 AM
IMHO, I would go with a direct induction kit (tube & k&n filter), and a good exhaust. Stillen makes really good nissan stuff, check them out.

As for the brakes, what do you want and which is the problem? Are you overheating your OEM discs? You could try a different brake pad, EBC greenstuff are good, also HAWKs HPS are an excellent choice, both choices are low dust (great for autopians!:up )

Hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions....

BTW, I think stillen also does a supercharger for your car......that ROCKS!

shaf
06-11-2002, 11:21 AM
www.maxima.org :)

Read the MaxFAQs there to get started. Many performance improvements are a trade-off (some worse than others), so just be aware of that beforehand.

For example, if you were to ask that question at the Org, first, you`d get flamed and told to read the FAQ and SEARCH :p, and then you might get some simplistic advice like intake and exhaust to boost HP. Usually mods like intake and exhaust boost power a little at the expense of noise, and mods like lowering/handling springs boost cornering at the expense of ride quality. The brake upgrade doesn`t sacrifice much other than the usual problems associated with owning slotted and/or drilled rotors and non-OEM brakepads.

I wish I could give you more specifics but 4th Generation (95-99) Maximas aren`t my specialty. Most ways of making more horsepower will boost noise and it just depends on what your tolerance and preference is. I have a large cone filter style intake and got this because intakes typically make more noise as RPM increases, which I wanted. Exhaust tends to work in the opposite way, so I don`t think I`ll ever touch mine! If you have deep pockets and/or have patience and skills, a supercharger (maybe a full kit) is available for your Maxima. This works miracles at the expense of $$$ and fuel consumption!

PM me if you`d like to talk about the Org or anything not ultra-specific. :wavey

EDIT: I just re-read your title subject and it said "cheap", so forget the supercharger, heh heh! Fully replacing the brakes might be expensive too.

boywonder
06-11-2002, 11:56 AM
a) CAI (Cold Air Intake) (Either Place Racing or Warpspeed)

b) Addco Rear Sway Bar

c) Warpspeed or Cattman Y Pipe

d) Eibach or Maxspeed springs

Since 4DSC mentioned the Org, you might want to hit the Classified section because there are a lot of peeps with 4th Gen Maxes selling different items.

You might also want to consider

www.custommaxima.com

www.courtesyparts.com

www.gotrice.com

www.avalonracing.net

shaf
06-11-2002, 01:13 PM
Hey PrinzII, you forgot www.warpspeedperformance.com :xyxthumbs

boywonder
06-11-2002, 03:34 PM
Nissan Brakes :rolleyes:

Since you want to upgrade the brakes, you might want to consider buying some Brembo Blanks. I got some for $38.50/piece from Import Auto Supply (800) 352-9561 for my `94 and they worked beautifully. In fact, I am considering a set for the `02. They also carry some good brake pads.

To do a Stillen conversion will set you back over $2000

imported_Erik Mejia
06-11-2002, 06:35 PM
Changing discs for another brand will not help in performance, unless you get drilled and slotted rotors, anyway you will not see that much difference since today´s pads compounds do not create gases as before (that´s what the holes are for) nor they glaze (slots are to help prevent that).

The biggest difference will come from better brake pads, you should consider the new discs only if yours are too worn.....

Stillen makes some brembo drilled discs, they are quite cheap.....

2wheelsx2
06-11-2002, 06:51 PM
Mugenman, I would have to politely disagree with what you said about pads not glazing. I personally have not experienced it, as I am pretty easy on the brakes, but plenty of my friends have glazed OEM brake pads. The only caveat is that these were pads for motorcycles, and most bikes now have slotted and cross drilled discs. If you brake hard enough without bedding in your beds properly, you can easily glaze them, and then they`ll perform terrible.

Having said all that, it`s highly unlikely that you would drive that aggressively on brand new brakes on the street. Most cases of glazing I know were on the track. So I guess you`re correct in 99% of the cases. :)

boywonder
06-14-2002, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Mugenman

Changing discs for another brand will not help in performance, unless you get drilled and slotted rotors, anyway you will not see that much difference since today´s pads compounds do not create gases as before (that´s what the holes are for) nor they glaze (slots are to help prevent that).

The biggest difference will come from better brake pads, you should consider the new discs only if yours are too worn.....

Stillen makes some brembo drilled discs, they are quite cheap.....

Actually, the problem with the stock Nissan Rotors is that they are poor in dissipating heat. These Brembo Blanks do a much better job at it than the stock rotors. I put them on my `94 and they are more resistant to fade and warping than the stock Nissan Rotors.

Otherwise, I agree on the brake pads

2wheelsx2
06-14-2002, 12:48 PM
I don`t think this is just Nissan brakes. On my Mazda, it seems that if you just look at the rotors wrong they warp. I have to be extremely careful when I wash to ensure that everything is totally cool before I get any water on there (pretty long time in the summer) and I am careful when I am removal my wheels for cleaning. And the screeching! Man oh man, I`ve replaced the fronts, and turned the rears, but the rears are now squeeking again. I may have to look at aftermarket rotors the next time. How do they compare price-wise to the stock rotors? 2x? More?

boywonder
06-14-2002, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by 2wheelsx2

I don`t think this is just Nissan brakes. On my Mazda, it seems that if you just look at the rotors wrong they warp. I have to be extremely careful when I wash to ensure that everything is totally cool before I get any water on there (pretty long time in the summer) and I am careful when I am removal my wheels for cleaning. And the screeching! Man oh man, I`ve replaced the fronts, and turned the rears, but the rears are now squeeking again. I may have to look at aftermarket rotors the next time. How do they compare price-wise to the stock rotors? 2x? More?

Well, for my `94, I paid $38.50 per rotor. I don`t have a clue as to what the stocks cost. But as far as the other issues are concerned, I definitely feel you. The Max squeaked until I put those rotors on and changed the pads to a set of Sumitomos. :D

2wheelsx2
06-14-2002, 01:21 PM
Good price. I am going to look into them for the rear replacements. Thanks.

Lowejackson
06-17-2002, 06:36 AM
Best advice I was given on improving a car to take some sort of advanced driver training. Then modify the car.

Steven

boywonder
06-20-2002, 03:45 PM
:confused:

scoop
06-26-2002, 11:00 AM
Forced Induction

a Roots Supercharger but thats expensive

best for the money?

Spark Plugs and a Zex Kit, Less then 1k. a 75 or 100 shot. and your pretty much set. Just don`t abuse it and you`ll be fine.