PDA

View Full Version : Flying Dinosaur Droppings (well, maybe a really big bird!)

TonyTahoe
06-11-2002, 08:04 AM
I parked at 5:30. Came back at 7pm and had this HUGE dropping on the hood. Easily 2 inches across. It must have been dropped by one of these:

http://school.discovery.com/clipart/images/dino-7.gif

Went home and got out the QD and Miracle Towel. In only 1 hour - not even in the sun - this thing had dried and started baking. It took me 10 minutes to get all the crap off. Then I went out this morning and saw the stain in the paint. 10 minutes of PPCL and its mostly gone. I think I`m going to have to get more abrasive on it.

I`m surprised that in only 90 minutes how much damage this did...I thought dinosaurs were extinct!:p

shaf
06-11-2002, 10:57 AM
I think they must be escaping from Jurassic Park and breeding! :p I got one just about that same size, if not bigger, last week. Fortunately for me it was only on the rear window.

I got a tiny 2oz. pump bottle from a plastics shop and keep some QD in my car. I gently use paper towels because I just absolutely can NOT bring myself to use anything non-disposable to pick that crap (:D) up.

Turbonator
06-11-2002, 05:23 PM
glad to see other places have flyin` dinos too. i come across their remnants all the time down here in the Big Easy. i`d swear the dinos are making a comeback ya`ll.:scared

rstype
06-11-2002, 06:41 PM
I was really surprised on how dangerous a simple "splat" of a bird dropping can be. Not only does it etch a hole through the clear, but it is also highly abrasive and the impact from it sometimes leave minor pits and scratches.

Take a look at this:

Originally posted by Ron Ketcham

In the many professional trade journal articles I have written, I have addressed the acids on paint concern several times. For the last 15 of my many years in the business of vehicle paint, trim etc, I have studied, consulted, etc on this issue

Bird droppings are acid!

The paint, non clear or clear is porus! It is a resin system and the system may be eaten apart by acids when H2O and heat are present. The dark metallic basecoat colors are the first to experience etching, then the dark non metallic basecoat colors.

The use of QD`s is not recommended by this writer! You must get the acids out of the clear!

For this, you need a quick way to dry and draw them out.

Have a glass cleaner with a high Isopropal Alcohol content in the trunk! There is a more certain way to get it out, but that is to involved for when you come out and find the dropping.

Even doing as I am about to write will not guareentee that you will not experience some etching!

As soon as you see the dropping, wet it throughly with the alcohol based glass cleaner, no ammonia, no butyls in it. Both will accelerate the reaction of the acids.

No waxes, no dimethal silicones, etc when you clean and attempt to draw out the acids, they will only serve to lock them into the porusity and allow them to concentrate, waiting for some heat and H2O to activate them.

You may even take a spray bottle and mix rubbing alcohol and water, at a 50/50 or even a 70% IPA and 30% water.

Soak the area!! Let it set for at least 2 to 3 minutes so it may penetrate and since the alcohol is a drying agent, it will pull the acids up and out , the water in the mix is not an issue!

Once it has liquified the dropping totally, wipe off with a soft cloth and respray and let set again for a couple of minutes, then wipe dry.

Will it stop it everytime, NO, but then the damage to the clear may already be in place, will it remove all the acids, that depends of so many factors that it is impossible to determine.

Nothing in the world is perfect, including this, but based upon my 15 years of working with vehicle manufacturers, the paint manufacturers, the port operations, the dealerships, detailers etc, it is has been found to be the most effective method.

Ketch

That`s why I always bring around my bottle of Eagle One 20/20! :scared

shaf
06-11-2002, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by BW

That`s why I always bring around my bottle of Eagle One 20/20! :scared Hmm, I guess this means I should only be carrying around 1 bottle (glass cleaner) now.

TooSixy
06-12-2002, 12:28 AM
Actually, as somewhat of a paleontology geek, I have to tell you that there is no such thing as a flying dinosaur. What that is, is what is known as a flying reptile. Dinosaurs were strictly terrestrial creatures. Anyway, you may now continue :D

BTW, thanks for the tips on the bird droppings. I`ve been using QD to remove them, but my EO 20/20 sounds like a better option! :xyxthumbs

shaf
06-12-2002, 12:57 AM
Hey wait a minute.... what about following up the 20/20 with QD to touch it up after?

TonyTahoe
06-12-2002, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Pro_fan

[B]Actually, as somewhat of a paleontology geek, I have to tell you that there is no such thing as a flying dinosaur. What that is, is what is known as a flying reptile. Dinosaurs were strictly terrestrial creatures. Anyway, you may now continue :D

B]

I`ll agree with the first statement, Ross....;)

I think you need to get out more...:D:D