PDA

View Full Version : What is the best for Black Clear Coat?

Pages : [1] 2

RockyZJ
06-10-2002, 06:38 PM
What are the best products to use on a black clear coat SUV? I currently use Zymol Car Wash followed by 3M Hand Glaze and then 2 coats of Mother`s Pure Canuba Wax.

Any opinions or suggestions?

imported_doug
06-10-2002, 07:36 PM
totally depends upon your objectives and the kind of shine you like. Your regimen is JUST FINE as is. If you want AMAZING depth and wet look, try some Pinnacle Souveran. (Search this board for lots of info and pics.) But don`t expect anything to last long on a black car, especially carnauba based products.

I have a black car, and I STILL use carnauba because I don`t mind waxing it frequently - it looks better under souveran than anything else I`ve tried, meguiar`s Gold Class is a close 2nd.

If you want more longevity at the expense of a higher learning curve, more application/use restrictions and a more "metallic" or "plasticky" shine, consider the polymer-based products like Klasse, Zaino and Blackfire.

stuart hicks
06-10-2002, 07:40 PM
I think you have found a perfect combo for a black car. The 3m leaves a deep black color. The Mothers really leaves in my opinion the most durable finish I have ever seen. The yellow wax in the round tin seems more durable than the liquid. I know in theory the artificial products like Zaino and blackfire are supposed to last a lot longer but in my test of about 11 cars i dont see evidence of that yet.

ALAN81
06-10-2002, 07:41 PM
My black car gets carnuba either P21s or blitz or souvern or girots best in show carnuba all of the above give a great shine but to keep the shine it must be waxed once every 6 -8 weeks

imported_memnuts
06-11-2002, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by stuart hicks

I know in theory the artificial products like Zaino and blackfire are supposed to last a lot longer but in my test of about 11 cars i dont see evidence of that yet.

Obviously you have not tried a synthetic, not artificial, paint protectant. First of all both carnuaba and polymer product have synthetic components in their formulations. There is no such product of note, even Zymol, that only contains natural ingredients.

Also your statement about no difference in longevity of the product between carnuaba and polymer is completely out in left field.:nono I have an on going experiment with my LS400 with portions protected by sealant and portions (flanks) by carnauba. No contest. The carnauba portion require some form of shine rejuvenation after several good car washes. The sealant just remains shiny and it water beading capacity uneffected. I love both products and both have their strong points and weaknesses. Its a personal choice and bias to the type of appearance one desires for their car.:wavey

stuart hicks
06-11-2002, 08:49 AM
Maybe the synthetics do last longer but when I detail a car I keep notes on what products I use. I have often done half the car with one type of product, the other with another. When returning a a month or two later both sides look about the same. Also when I apply more of the product the area where i apply more products clearly look better. This is True with BF and Zaino products. Now I will admit that in very hot temps the Carnuba Will eventually melt. But in my test both carnuba and polymer products needed some type of shine rejuvenation in about two months. Furthermore the polymer products seem to leave a shine that sits on top of the paint, like you see through the shine down to the paint. The Carnuba however in my opinion seems to pull the color up to the surface so the car has more of an overall uniform glow than a shine. I am not biased in favor of polymers vs. Carnubas in theory, I just want what works best. To me on most cars, There is no better shine than one obtained using a hand glaze topped by two coats of Carnuba.

imported_doug
06-11-2002, 09:02 AM
Stuart - very well said. I have also tested both, and I agree with you 100%.

imported_memnuts
06-11-2002, 09:30 AM
As I stated there is personal desires to one`s appearance standards. I have worked with carnuabas for over 30 years and nothing comes close to the "just dipped in liquid glass" appearance that a sealant gives. I work with solid colors (non-metallics) and a black car can not look this good after several days with a carnuba. Yes, we at autopia are very anal about our finishes and would never think of just washing and not QD`ing. We also would not go months without apply some form of protection and gloss enhancements. Maybe it is the added protection that a polymer potectant gives my clearcoat against surface marring from routine maintainance . My black cars have never appeared so flawless and true to intended color. Would I apply a sealant to my classics - No, but they never see the light of day or frequency of detailing. Besides these cars were manufactured in the 60`s and original appearance, including quality and appearance of paint, is important in their value and authenticity. I was a hard convert to sealants and I am sometimes bored by the endurance of the showcar shine that sealants produced. I spent over 30 years knowing that in order to receive this same appearance with a paste wax that a daily Qd`ing and weekly re-waxing was necessary. For one who is a lover of ultra-detailed cars this activity (waxing) was fun and relaxing. Now I can enjoy the better results by just pulling out of the garage and relaxing void of the worrying about the protection and shine melting away. When I need a carnuaba fix I apply to the flanks of the LS400. :D

gsfroelich
06-11-2002, 09:44 AM
Rocky I am using Platinum from 4 star products and am very pleased. Easy on, easy off, no hazing. I haved used Pinnacle but with out success. It hazed and left a greassy finished.

Good Luck

imported_StyleTEG
06-11-2002, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by stuart hicks

Furthermore the polymer products seem to leave a shine that sits on top of the paint, like you see through the shine down to the paint. The Carnuba however in my opinion seems to pull the color up to the surface so the car has more of an overall uniform glow than a shine. I am not biased in favor of polymers vs. Carnubas in theory, I just want what works best. To me on most cars, There is no better shine than one obtained using a hand glaze topped by two coats of Carnuba.

My feelings are very simmilar to blkZ28Conv`s

I used carnaubas for a very long time, but once I tried synthetics I knew I would never go back. I struggle to come up with any situation where a coat of carnauba would be better than 2-3 coats of polymers topped with a quality carnauba.

The only situation I can think of, is if you want to use a glaze. I personally am not fond of glazes. Sure they make a car look great for a little bit, but I want the cars I detail to look great because of the paint condition, not because of a oily product hiding the paints true apearance.

I agree, the shine of the two is different, but I think it looks great when you use the best of both (carnuaba topper) :). My car looks much better now with 3 + SG & 1 Souveran than it did with Souveran and IHG (before I started using polymers) :)

imported_memnuts
06-11-2002, 11:09 AM
Sealant plus carnuaba is the best of both worlds. No argument here. Protection plus the Pledge ;) shine on top. I even top my Zaino with P21S :scared ( hood and trunk) when I really need extra depth for a day. :cool:

I also agree with StyleTEG that if your finish is flawed a glaze plus carnuaba will hide these imperfections. A sealant will only enhance in most cases surface marring.

RockyZJ
06-11-2002, 03:31 PM
Thanks for all the input.

Sounds like I could tweak my routine to include Klasse AIO/SG in place of the 3M Hand Glaze and then use a "Topper" like Mother`s Carnuba

shirtman
06-11-2002, 06:01 PM
I have been using Griots #3 machine polish followed by a combination of their QD (Speed Shine) and Best of Show wax to top it off. Based upon postings on this board, I have recently purchased Klass AIO and SG, along with the one carnuba people almost always rave about... Pinnacle Souveran. I will likely approach with a single layer of AIO, followed by a couple of SG, topped with Souveran to give it the depth and warmth I am looking for. I am going to use the synthetics to bolster the protection as it is a daily driver for me no matter the weather. This is what it looks like now: http://www.cardomain.com/id/midnightexpress.. I will post as I get the new products applied.

Jeff

TiCoup
06-13-2002, 12:41 PM
I`ve got a black Explorer that gets abused daily, especially in the winter. I use 3M`s FI on it once a year for swirls and apply a coat of Liquid Glass every two months. Very easy on/ easy off product and the Explorer still turns heads.

Lowejackson
06-13-2002, 02:00 PM
Autoglym Super Resin plus Blitz :up

Steven