PDA

View Full Version : Clay bar.....Application, brands??

Pages : [1] 2

ExplorerXLT95
06-10-2002, 08:34 AM
I am relatively new to being a detailing hobbyist...I am not sure exactly how to use a clay bar, but from the description in some of the articles here, I do need one in order to remove some oxidation, repair some scratches, etc from my paint.

How do I use a clay bar and what kind should I buy??

Include all the general stuff a veteran detailer would leave out because I am 100% new to the clay bar.....Thanks guys...

ALS2000
06-10-2002, 09:20 AM
I am also relatively new to the Clay Bar, but from the threads I have read, the recommended brand is Mothers California Gold Clay Bar Paint Saving System. I found it at Advanced Auto Parts for $14.99. The kit contains: the Clay Bar, Showtime Instant Detailer and Carnauba Cleaner Wax.

Directions for use are simple: wash and dry the car, thoroughly wet a 2 foot square section with Showtime Instant Detailer, rub the clay bar in a back and forth motion overlapping each stroke using very light pressure and wipe off excess Showtime. Once complete, apply a coat of wax.

They say the clay bar sheers off damaging and unsightly contaminants including paint over-spray.

Good Luck....

http://www.s2000atlanta.com/gallery/Photos/AlS2000/my_s2000_photos/exterior/image009_a.jpg

ExplorerXLT95
06-10-2002, 09:45 AM
How about the Pinnacle Poly-Clay Kit?? That any good?? Also, what should you use to get the clay off??

imported_seres
06-10-2002, 09:56 AM
Try the Clay Magic kit for $9.99 at AutoZone -- I`ve used it and like it pretty well. I`ve also used Erazer Clay System from http://www.dccarcare.com and like it.

As far as "removing" the clay -- it doesn`t stay on the car, what is left there is the lub. spray, and if you use it correctly, with the lubricant spray, you won`t get the streaking I`ve seen some metion (well, I haven`t had streaking with the brands I`ve used). Then, I just wipe the panel dry with a MF.

Good luck -- you`ll love the super smoothness of your paint!! :xyxthumbs

ExplorerXLT95
06-10-2002, 10:12 AM
Wow I feel dumb....What`s an MF??

imported_seres
06-10-2002, 10:18 AM
No problem -- it`s an acronym you should only use on Autopia!! :D

~Microfiber Towel~

On the Autopia home page, there`s a link for all the acronyms that are used on here...or click here:

http://www.autopia-carport.com/terms.htm

FocusRun
06-10-2002, 11:09 AM
I think one of the best place to buy MF is:

www.neatitems.com

No shipping and handling and from what I heard from these guys, they`re pretty good quality.

Believe it or not my real life initials is MF

frankandjeri@bellsouth.net
06-10-2002, 09:47 PM
i`ve tried soft99 clay bar, it`s a Japanese brand. I highly recommend it...:xyxthumbs

RockCity
06-10-2002, 10:12 PM
This weekend I detailed my new car. I used the Mother`s clay bar system. I followed the instructions but I did not pick anything up. I used the Showtime detail (lube) spray and glided the bar over the paint in horizontal motions. I did not feel or hear anything like I thought I would. I looked at the bar after each section and there was nothing on it. After I was completely finished, the clay still looked new.

Did I do something wrong or is it possible, my paint has no contamination? I really doubt the latter is true.

Thanks for your advice / comments.

frankandjeri@bellsouth.net
06-10-2002, 10:55 PM
hmm...how old is your car? when was it last clayed? your car might have no or very little contaminants in the first place...

I suggest that you feel the surface of your car. the soft99 brand that i mentioned in my previous post comes with a small plastic wherein you can use to "feel" your car`s painted surface for contaminants.

if you feel nothing clinging on the paint, then it`s got to be clean... :D

in claying, lubricate about 2 square feet at a time. rub the clay using a light pressure on a left-right-left overlapping motion about 4-6 passes, then follow it up with an up-down-up motion with 4-6 passes.

make sure you check you clay from time to time, knead it when necessary.

I my experience, during the first 2 passes of the clay, you will feel some sort of resistance caused by the contaminants. After that, the succeeding passes would be as smooth as glass... :)

forrest@mothers
06-11-2002, 07:59 AM
Explorer - clay will not remove the oxidation or scratches you referred to. It only removes contaminates bonded to the paint surface. Other types of products are needed for oxidation and scratches.

Schnitzer - As silly as it sounds, some folks have failed to remove the clear plastic wrapper from the clay. After washing and drying, if you run your fingertips lightly over the hood, roof, or trunk, do you feel any light bumps? Those are what clay should remove. If you don`t feel them, either the clay already did its job or the paint was contaminant free already.

BradE
06-11-2002, 08:12 AM
I have tried just about all the clays you can buy, I really like Clay Magic. Its very flexible, kinda sticks to your hand so you won`t drop it, picks up very well and will not "mush" out when you use it with a car wash solution for a lube. :xyxthumbs

boywonder
06-11-2002, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by ShowroomLincoln

I have tried just about all the clays you can buy, I really like Clay Magic. Its very flexible, kinda sticks to your hand so you won`t drop it, picks up very well and will not "mush" out when you use it with a car wash solution for a lube. :xyxthumbs

I concur with Showroom. I have used Mother`s, Meguiar`s and now Clay Magic. Of the three, I love the Clay Magic. :D

ClayBartrug
06-11-2002, 12:34 PM
Anyone here ever try Griot`s garage claybar?

Thoughts, opinions?

couch16
06-11-2002, 02:25 PM
I personally prefer the Mother`s Clay Kit. The only thing I`d recommend you do is buy an additional bottle of Mother`s Instant Detailer. The kit comes with one but I find that you need two bottles to do the job right.

Second, MF towels are a God-send. Out of everything I`ve leared about at Autopia, MF towels rank number one by far.

It`s interesting how everyone here has different opinion about who makes the best clay, which wax is easiest to apply, which wax looks the best, which one lasts the longest, etc.

But everyone here (as far as I know) loves MF towels! Yes, some people might say one is better than another, but they`re all pretty damn good.

I recommend you buy your MF towels from JT International. He`s a direct importer and has them a lot cheaper than you`ll find them elsewhere. Where most people sell towels for around $6, JT sells them for $2. All the reviews of his towels have been positive.

You can order them by calling 888-989-4584.

Enjoy!