PDA

View Full Version : Just used Meguiars #9 and Zaino #5

samiam513
06-09-2002, 10:14 PM
Neither of them took out my swirl marks. I thought they would. What will take out my swirls?

mikenomad57@hotmail.com
06-09-2002, 10:28 PM
3M SMR

drewski59
06-09-2002, 11:49 PM
How did you do the #9 and Zaino???

You can do the #9 first, then Dawn wash and follow with Z5, but you can`t put it directly on top;)

#9 after Z5 will just strip the Z5...

Z5 works in stages up to 5 coats-the more coats= less swirls!!!

:wavey

imported_Intel486
06-10-2002, 12:25 AM
How did you apply Meguiar`s #9?

I use Meguiar`s #9 in the past to take off light oxidation and some pretty bad swirls.

40thgto
06-10-2002, 01:00 AM
My experience has been Zaino doesn`t do sh*t for swirl marks. I don`t care what the Zaino zealots say. I put on five coats Z5, and it only covered up the extremely minor swirls. The type of swirls you see on a new car. Only visiable in certain light. Anything beyond this, forget Zaino. Most people really like the 3m products for this purpose, and I must agree.

That being said, Zaino is a nice polish. Very nice shine, water beads like crazy, and it is very durable. Just use it AFTER all the swirl marks are gone, and you will be happy.

My .02

imported_doug
06-10-2002, 01:28 AM
Zaino #5 will fill only the most minor of swirls (frankly, in my own tests I couldn`t even see that. )

meguiar`s #9 - do your bottle say "2.0" on it? This is pretty good stuff - but you have to work it hard - preferably with an orbital and a yellow cutting pad if you want to remove swirls. 3M SMR is a little more abrasive to start, which is good if your swirls are deepter - but it is less forgiving if not properly used. And even more aggressive, and even less forgiving, is 3M Finesse-IT II Finishing Compound - the next step up from SMR`s - still very safe, not as aggressive as rubbing compounds.

8ball
06-10-2002, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by carguy

meguiar`s #9 - do your bottle say "2.0" on it? This is pretty good stuff - but you have to work it hard - preferably with an orbital and a yellow cutting pad if you want to remove swirls

Exactly what I did yesterday on my niece`s black 97 Mitsubishi GST (preceded by: Dawn wash, Z clay, and followed by: #9 2.0 with a PC/white pad, Dawn wash, Z5/ZFX x 3 with Z6 between each coat). The car was badly swirled and the paint felt like sandpapaer. When I was done, 90% of the swirls were gone and the paint felt like a buttered-up baby`s butt. She was floored with the results. She couldn`t stop touching the car. Moral, like Carguy said, you gotta work it hard.

Lenny
06-10-2002, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by 8ball

Exactly what I did yesterday on my niece`s black 97 Mitsubishi GST (preceded by: Dawn wash, Z clay, and followed by: #9 2.0 with a PC/white pad, Dawn wash, Z5/ZFX x 3 with Z6 between each coat). The car was badly swirled and the paint felt like sandpapaer. When I was done, 90% of the swirls were gone and the paint felt like a buttered-up baby`s butt. She was floored with the results. She couldn`t stop touching the car. Moral, like Carguy said, you gotta work it hard.

8ball & Carguy are 100% correct. Youu really have to work the No. 9 2.0, especially paying attention to it`s instructions to do one panel at a time. I did my parrents 1995 Ford Crown Vic two weeks ago, and it was a mass of commercial carwash induced swirls. Started with the #9 2.0 with a Meguiar`s yellow polishing pad, followed by Meguiar`s No. 20 Polymer Sealant with a CMA grey finishing pad.

My dad was amazed by the results. I took a picture, and you can see the reflections of my shop vac, lawn mower, and our dog (who decided to lay down after hanging around "supervising" our work).