PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to remove scratches/polish a plastic lens?

Bigdaddybama
06-08-2002, 03:42 PM
HI guys,

I have a Grand Prix with those dang plastic lenses and they have lots of nicks and scratches on them. Is there a product out there that would allow me to polish it out and help them become clean and clear again?

imported_Intel486
06-08-2002, 03:54 PM
I use Plexus on a lot of minor scratches and it does a good job. As long as the scratches are not very deep then it`ll take them out. They have to be more like swirls though.

I`ve never used them but a lot of people recommend the Meguiar`s Plastic polishes.

Bigdaddybama
06-08-2002, 04:16 PM
I misspelled `plastic` so my search for info on it wasn`t working. Now It worked and It seems I`ll just have to buy new headlights and start from there. the headlight is too far gone, its all clouded, chipped, and scratched to the point where it hampers the pentration of light. :(

drewski59
06-08-2002, 04:44 PM
Try Meguiars Mirror Glaze Plastic Cleaner, followed by the Mirror Glaze Plastic Polish...:xyxthumbs

The cleaner really cleans, takes out scratches, and restores all of the optical quality...

I like to use the cleaner followed by a coat of Zaino!

Why not try this for about $12 before buying all new ones!!

:wavey

imported_Adamah
06-08-2002, 05:03 PM
If the scratches are deep then you`ll have to wet sand them. Plan on using 1500 and 2000 grit paper and possibly 1000 and 1200 if the scratches are really bad. Follow up with Finesse-It II finishing material then one of the plastic polishes like Zaino Z-14. If you take your time you`ll be amazed by the results. In the worst cases you might even have to flame polish with a mapp gas torch.

FocusRun
06-08-2002, 06:02 PM
Hi Sirmack,

I have a similar problem my Focus. The left lens has these fine scratches I could feel with my fingers. The optical clarity isn`t at all great. I ordered the Meguiar 10 and 17 from CMA.

http://store.yahoo.com/classic-motoring/meg1708.html

Package hasn`t arrived yet so I don`t know how well it works. Check Ebay to see if anyone is selling new lenses. It`ll save you a bundle.

Good Luck with fixin yer scratches.

jello_g
06-08-2002, 08:40 PM
I`ve had some pretty deep scratches in my plastic headlights and the only way that worked for me was wetsanding with 3M Imperial Wetordry 400-grit, followed by 600, 1000, 1600, 2000. I then hand polished with Meguiar`s #17. The trick here is to really work the #17 until it gets tacky, and repeat several times until it`s crystal clear and squeeks with each pass (I use 100% cotton towels). I then topped off with Meguiar`s #10. The whole process could take a few hours, but it`s worth it - my lights look practically brand new whereas they were yellow and pitted before.