PDA

View Full Version : Our first ever Aston-Martin DB7. (1997)

Pages : [1] 2

06-08-2002, 01:24 PM
Breaking away from my normal choice of car I am pleased to say that i have made the transition and for the first time in my life am the proud owner of a 1997 3.2 Aston-Martin DB7 2+2 Coupe. It has just over 11, 000 miles on the clock which is nothing for a car of its class. As circumstances prevaled I was forced with the task of having to part with the 6.7 litre Bentley Continental. As it happens, I had made a very reasonable offer on the DB7 for a quick sale and obtained it far less than the asking price for just over £52,000. In return approximately £35,000 was recovered from the sale of the Continental. This is money which we intend goes towards our daughters future, which we intend to contribute more in due course.

Anyway, back to business. I have a spent much of today (well all day infact) detailing the interior, and engine bay. The exterior will get a good going over tommorow. Here are some of the best photographs taken so far. The first one was taken yesterday but i have scanned it in better hence it looks brighter than it was. The others are from this morning - afternoon.

Before anyone says it, I know its not the best detailed interior I have had but trust me, I will improve it in time. There are quite a lot of modifications I am going to make in it. This includes chrome speed dials, and pedals, maybe even two-tone leather sterring wheel. Exterior wise a new set of wider alloys - definately in chrome.

So what do you think, do you think it looks ok, please be honest as possible. Do you think it looks a bit dated than the new DB7?

Mr John V Ross

06-08-2002, 01:26 PM
Interior shot taken after a good clean & vacum:

Bobby G
06-08-2002, 01:29 PM
John (& Steph), congrats on the new DB7. What a great looking car. Looking forward to some interior shots. You Brits really know how to make dead cows look good.

06-08-2002, 01:29 PM
Engine bay shot this morning. I know its not super clean, but its not bad. The metal/aluminium areas need brightening with polish. I must do this next week:

C. Charles Hahn
06-08-2002, 01:31 PM
John - I like the looks of that generation of DB7 better than the new ones, personally.....

as for the interior, your mod plan sounds good - as far as detailing it, you have to realize that a used car can only get so good, nothing you can do to correct the mistakes the prior owner(s) made by not caring for it in the way you would have.

Exterior: don`t get "wider alloys" - the stock spacing/etc. looks better than anything IMHO. Perhaps chromed versions of the stock aston wheels?? Also, I would look into doing something about the headlight cover/lenses. They appear to me to be cloudy or something - perhaps polishing could help??

what products have you used on it so far, and what`s the plan for sealants/toppers/etc.?? got any more pics of it? (interior, exterior, engine, etc.)??

looks great! congrats again on the new car!

C. Charles Hahn
06-08-2002, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by DavidB

John (& Steph), congrats on the new DB7. What a great looking car. Looking forward to some interior shots. You Brits really know how to make dead cows look good.

they know how to make cows mad too! (kidding, kidding) :o

06-08-2002, 01:41 PM
The headlights, yes you are very right they are hazed up. I took a close inspection this morning and they both have what appears to be soil/mud dirt burried into it. I will have to open up the lens to rectify this.

Problems with it: 2 stone chips on the nose - these are very minor and can be touched up.

Exahust tail pipes are dull - they need a very good polish.

Windscreen when looked at in daylight they are numerous microscopic dents. I will need a new front windscreen.

Interior : leather is 100% spotless, no marks at all. However the matts need replacing. The drivers side is scuffed. And what appears to be shoe polish engrained on the bottom side of the dash (just above the pedals).

More photographs will be taken, but next week. Tommorow I am spending the entire day with Steph & taking her out to Alton Tower Theme Park.

JOHN

rstype
06-08-2002, 02:12 PM
Congrats on the DB7!

I think the car looks perfectly fine and the styling still seems fresh. :up I would suggest a set of new wheels and tires- preferably silver ones from the new V12 Vanquish. That should make the DB7 look a lot newer.

The interior looks wonderful already… very British. Have you looked into Leatherique (http://www.leatherique.com) for preserving/restoring the leather? I hear it works wonderfully.

And before you get a new windscreen, try a quality glass polish and see what it can do. Autoglym makes a very good one and it can be used by machine.

Have fun!

~bw

:)

Lowejackson
06-08-2002, 02:42 PM
I am not sure if bigger wheels would enhance the car, to often bigger wheels spoil the look of nice cars.

I would try the Autoglym Glass Polish with a buffer first, much much cheaper than a new windscreen.

Steven

83Esprit
06-08-2002, 03:14 PM
Brilliant looking car. Great job on the exterior. Seems like you got a great deal for the money you spent, though a Hyundai Sonata LX is probably a better deal for it`s current selling price.....maybe next time.

Kelly

imported_seres
06-08-2002, 04:26 PM
Congrats on the new car John & Steph -- looks like it would be fun to drive!!

:D

06-08-2002, 05:29 PM
Th4nks everyone. Guess whos driving it to Alton Towers in the morning, yes me. Yippe. John will drive it on the way back. Its going to be a nice sunny day over there. I cant wait to get on them rides. Not going on any rollercosters though! Hate heights, & not good for me in my condition.

Bye bye.

Love,

STEPH

(David B - not sure how many cows it took to make these seats - but they are v.comfy) Bless the cows:D :D

imported_Intel486
06-08-2002, 07:37 PM
Very nice car!

Still not use to see the steeringwheel on the right side though :D

2002camry
06-08-2002, 07:51 PM
JR,

What did you use to Polish/Wax the DB7?

I love the shape of the Astin Martins. Very nice

BradE
06-08-2002, 08:32 PM
I really like the new car John. Fast, stylish, and most importantly luxurious.....what more could want. :D Now hit the backroads and enjoy your new machine. :xyxthumbs