PDA

View Full Version : Do Wal-Mart Brand MVP Orbitals Buffers Suck?

Bigdaddybama
06-08-2002, 01:16 PM
Hi guys,

I Just picked up a 10" MVP SuperLine 10" 2600rpm Random Orbit Buffer/Polisher for $20.00. I am wondering if they are any good for the price and will they get the job done? Or are they a waste? Thanks. :)

C. Charles Hahn
06-08-2002, 01:22 PM
you`re not going to be able to correct any paint defects with it, if thats what you`re asking.....

IMHO its a waste, kinda like doing a half-a$$ detail on your car. You basically get what you pay for in the buffer department....

imported_Intel486
06-08-2002, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Shiny Lil Detlr

You basically get what you pay for in the buffer department....

Not just the buffer department. That saying holds true for pretty much all powertools.

Well, with the wall-mart buffer you`re not going to be able to do a lot. They use cotton bonnets don`t they? Those aren`t very good for applying wax. Now, you could use it to buff off wax but we don`t recommend that.

Bigdaddybama
06-08-2002, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Shiny Lil Detlr

you`re not going to be able to correct any paint defects with it, if thats what you`re asking.....

IMHO its a waste, kinda like doing a half-a$$ detail on your car. You basically get what you pay for in the buffer department....

I am clueless when it comes to buffers. But I figure it`ll save me from applying/removing the basic Meguiars Wax.

What do you mean how you won`t be able to remove any paint defects? I heard that if you applied SMR to the buffer, that at 2600 RPM the orbital will do a decent job, you just have to go over areas multiple times and `push` on it *very* lightly.

I have no ideas how buffers work, but isn`t an orbital spin an orbital spin?

imported_Intel486
06-08-2002, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by SirMack

I am clueless when it comes to buffers. But I figure it`ll save me from applying/removing the basic Meguiars Wax.

What do you mean how you won`t be able to remove any paint defects? I heard that if you applied SMR to the buffer, that at 2600 RPM the orbital will do a decent job, you just have to go over areas multiple times and `push` on it *very* lightly.

I have no ideas how buffers work, but isn`t an orbital spin an orbital spin?

Well, One thing you have to look at is motor power. The speed rating they give you is with no load so when the buffer is on the surface it`ll slow down. If the motor isn`t powerfull enough, then it`ll slow down a lot.

2600 OPM is not that fast. My DeWalt obital buffer goes between 4000OPMs and 6800OPMs and 90% of the time when I`m appying a polish I have it on full speed. The reason he said you won`t be able to correct any paint defects is because polishes need heat to work and to break down. That buffer won`t be able to create enough heat. I know by DeWalt on full speed hardly creates any heat which is why I use a rotary buffer for most of my polishing.

Also, I`m not sure how your buffer applies stuff. Does it use bonnets or does it have a hook and loop pad? You really need a hook and loop pad so you can use foam pads. Bonnets do not work really well for applying products.

Bigdaddybama
06-08-2002, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Intel486

Well, One thing you have to look at is motor power. The speed rating they give you is with no load so when the buffer is on the surface it`ll slow down. If the motor isn`t powerfull enough, then it`ll slow down a lot.

2600 OPM is not that fast. My DeWalt obital buffer goes between 4000OPMs and 6800OPMs and 90% of the time when I`m appying a polish I have it on full speed. The reason he said you won`t be able to correct any paint defects is because polishes need heat to work and to break down. That buffer won`t be able to create enough heat. I know by DeWalt on full speed hardly creates any heat which is why I use a rotary buffer for most of my polishing.

Also, I`m not sure how your buffer applies stuff. Does it use bonnets or does it have a hook and loop pad? You really need a hook and loop pad so you can use foam pads. Bonnets do not work really well for applying products.

Well, mine uses Bonnets. I suppose my orbital is good for a beginner who only uses Meguiars Gold Class for shine/protection. I`m not currently a detail buff, mainly due to the fact of lack of finances to fund such a hobby. But I have a bad back and was looking for something to just help put on the wax and then take it off. Would it be good enough for just that at least?

imported_Intel486
06-08-2002, 03:57 PM

Well, mine uses Bonnets. I suppose my orbital is good for a beginner who only uses Meguiars Gold Class for shine/protection. I`m not currently a detail buff, mainly due to the fact of lack of finances to fund such a hobby. But I have a bad back and was looking for something to just help put on the wax and then take it off. Would it be good enough for just that at least?

You can probably apply wax with it. Might be kind hard though. Can you get foam bonets for it.

I know you`ll be able to buff wax off with it but make sure you get some extra bonnets as they clog up easily.

Bigdaddybama
06-08-2002, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Intel486

You can probably apply wax with it. Might be kind hard though. Can you get foam bonets for it.

I know you`ll be able to buff wax off with it but make sure you get some extra bonnets as they clog up easily.

I can get some foam bonnets for it, but they rip so easily, is this typical? And how do you avoid ripping them when you put them on?

LoL, i`m starting to wonder if waxing by hand is easier/better... :) Which do I use to buff it off? the `synthetic wool` or the `terry cloth` bonnet?

Sharkie
06-08-2002, 04:53 PM
Wool pads are very aggressive for polishing, so synthetic or not don’t use it, use the terry. Cheap terry can be very scratchy, so if it feels like something you wouldn’t use on your skin don’t use it on the car.

Adam

Bigdaddybama
06-08-2002, 05:57 PM
Well, I went ahead and waxed the car (after giving it a nice wash) and you guys are right. It seems it dropped from 2600 RPM down to 1,500 RPM right when I put it onto the vehicle body. Although I must admit it did make the car look A LOT glossier.

Now I think I`ve got `the bug` in regards to orbitals, that banner advertisement above for that little 6" 4000 RPM buffer is starting to call me.

Overall it was a decent buffer, the RPMs are a tad misrepresented, and it did a decent job, but it shook the heck out of my hands. But when I didn`t apply hardly any pressure it worked pretty smoothly.

So, is that what orbitals do? Make wax easier to apply/remove and increase the gloss/shine?

CharlesW
06-08-2002, 06:35 PM

So, is that what orbitals do? Make wax easier to apply/remove and increase the gloss/shine?

That and set in the corner of the garage when you decide it is more effort than it is worth. Actually, I have gone back to hand applying and hand buffing. Works for me.

Charles

Bigdaddybama
06-08-2002, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by CharlesW

That and set in the corner of the garage when you decide it is more effort than it is worth. Actually, I have gone back to hand applying and hand buffing. Works for me.

Charles

Not sure howmuch I like it. I bought a terry cloth cover for it and got most of the wax, but you really had to push hard to get most of the wax off. I mean it literally drops down to liek 500 RPM when you push on it. I guess thats what I get for $20.00. I heard the higher end ones don`t drop at all and can maintain 4000-6000 RPM with no probs. :)

I use to hand apply/remove but I have a bad back and it has gotten *Really* tough to do so. I really have no choice. :(

mikenomad57@hotmail.com
06-09-2002, 08:14 PM
Just save up and get a PC. I`m going to ebay off my old Craftsman 9 5/8" buffer. I jsut placed an order for a PC tonight. The Craftsman did a decent job. I used foam bonnets and they haven`t ripped yet.

Sir Mack, some of the Meguiars wax line tend to be a pain at times. I use to use the Deep Crystal line, then switched over to the Professional Mirror Glaze line. Even with a buffer, there was still some difficulty in getting the wax or polish off.

I love my Souveran so much. Like people said, it goes on like smearing butter and comes off so easliy.

:cool:

Bigdaddybama
06-10-2002, 03:25 AM
I tried the buffer on my GP today, and as long as you don`t push down on it, and let it ride while gently guiding it, it works fine. The RPMs don`t drop significantly and it does a decent job applying/removing the wax.

It was awesome! Usually it takes me a good hour to apply 45 minutes to apply and remove 1 coat of wax. This thing applied to the entire car in about 10 minutes, and I removed it just as fast. :) Not bad.

The $20 cheapo will have to do until I can save up for a *real* one. :)

Lenny
06-10-2002, 05:25 AM

I tried the buffer on my GP today, and as long as you don`t push down on it, and let it ride while gently guiding it, it works fine. The RPMs don`t drop significantly and it does a decent job applying/removing the wax.

It was awesome! Usually it takes me a good hour to apply 45 minutes to apply and remove 1 coat of wax. This thing applied to the entire car in about 10 minutes, and I removed it just as fast. :) Not bad.

The $20 cheapo will have to do until I can save up for a *real* one. :)

SirMack that`s what I did (with a Black & Decker orbital) until I finally bought my Porter Cable. If you`re near a Lowes, they usually carry the Porter Cable for about $115 plus tax. Your next expense after that is the hook & loop backup plate and the pads. CMA`s Porter Cable kit is about $60 - that`s a good price and a good kit to start with, plus the Microfiber bonnets if you`re loking for something to help take the wax offwith. Budget the money and get one when you can - I think alot of AUtopians will agree - you won`t regret it!!