PDA

View Full Version : Very sad day for me...

imported_bigltc
06-07-2002, 03:24 PM
You guys probably remember that I spent 7 hours working on my mom`s van. Well, last sunday, I drove it to work, when I was parking, I didn`t aware that there was a junked commericial stainless steel grease cooker at my left side and a wall behind it, I was looking at my right mirror backing up and was judging when to stop before hitting the wall, well, as I was backing into the space, the van went BAM and you know the rest... My parents were obviously pissed but they were very cool with it so I was off the hook. Anyways, here`s a couple of pics of the damage:

http://prod.bsis.bellsouth.net/coDataImages/p/Groups/35/35062/folders/19225/115952DSC00135.JPG

http://prod.bsis.bellsouth.net/coDataImages/p/Groups/35/35062/folders/19225/115955DSC00139.JPG

Do you guys think I can just take the interior panels out and push the dent back out or should I just take it to the shop and let them do the repairs? I want to keep this as inexpensive as possible.

imported_BretFraz
06-07-2002, 03:35 PM
It wrinkled the tailgate and the quarter panel? Dang, that`s pretty serious.

I`d have it at the best body shop in town ASAP. No way I`d tackle that myself.

My dad`s old Caravan got rear-ended by some goofball in a monster 4x4. Caved in the tailgate and damaged both quarter panels. Body shop made it look like new. Only problem was the alignment of the tailgate to stop noise from the air seals.

Good luck with the van.

VetteToVair
06-07-2002, 03:37 PM
i agree - take it to the shop. keep mom happy :nono

Malibu
06-07-2002, 03:41 PM
Yikes! I know just how you feel. A couple of years ago I backed into a short concrete retaining wall in a parking structure in Ann Arbor because I couldn`t see it. Put a nice little crease in my bumper. Fortunately, it was getting replaced anyway by insurance because it was rusting out after only a couple of months (had it replaced after I got rear-ended). I think I used up a couple months of good luck on that one! Anyway, yeah, take it to the body shop. Looks like a lot to tackle yourself. The body shop will most likely replace the panels anyway instead of using bondo.

Mike

Lowejackson
06-07-2002, 04:47 PM
Unless you have the equipment and the skills, go to a bodyshop.

Does not look like a major job.

I have pranged enough cars to know :eek:

Steven

Brad B
06-07-2002, 07:47 PM
Ouch! I feel your pain. Time to call in the pro`s. Be sure to get a couple estimates and see samples of the quality of their work!:(

Hypersion
06-07-2002, 09:17 PM
Don`t feel bad, my mom`s crashed her new van like 6 times (i have started to lose count) and what really bad is it only has around 20K miles on it.

samiam513
06-07-2002, 09:34 PM
whats has my mom done ot the van she used to have? Well nothing except tree, fire hydrent, garage, big green eletrical box, another car, and the garge wall. Only a few things.:D

imported_bigltc
06-08-2002, 08:25 AM
Well, I guess I`ll take it to the insurance and let them take care of it. But then again, the damage was on the liftgate so it wasn`t that serious. What I was planning to do is take the interior panels out then push the dent back out to the best of my ability then repaint those areas with some touchup paint and lagka (sp?).

My gosh, your moms can`t drive! I`m sorry...but the only thing my mom hit was the mirror when she was backing out of the garage. Actually...this is my first "accident". So I was perfect until now.

Another question. If I take it to the insurance and let them cut me a check, will the premiums go up? I have comprehensive coverage so...