PDA

View Full Version : 3M smr and a porter cable

devilsown
06-07-2002, 12:48 PM
I recall seeing a video this week online here of a guy from cma (i think) using a porter cable to apply 3M swirl mark remover. My jetta has a mess of scratches in it i would like to get out and i`m thinking that by getting a pc and using smr with it i might see some results. my question is what kind of pad do you want to use with your pc when applying that stuff, the guy from cma i think was using wool if i`m not mistaken becuase of its aggressivness. if anyone can give me some guidance here i`d really appreciate it.

OLD GTI GUY
06-07-2002, 02:37 PM
I`d recommend you actually start out with the white pad and work your way up from there if necessary. Buff it out and see what you think. If you need to go a little more aggressive, go with the yellow pad. I wouldn`t even think about using a wool pad on anything with clear coat unless absolutely necessary. It`s always best to start out with the least aggressive method (the white pad) and work your way up, as once the damage is done, well....it`s done.;)

VetteToVair
06-07-2002, 02:48 PM
without pics it is tough to tell, but i think you should try the yellow cma pad. smr with the white doesn`t do much. i would not use a wool cutting pad on my car!

devilsown
06-07-2002, 03:52 PM
can anyone here rank the pads in terms of aggresiveness and what eaches specific uses are i.e. waxing, swirl removing, etc.

corvettez
06-08-2002, 09:30 AM
Go to www.properautocare.com and look at the Porter Cable accessories, they list all the pads they offer and what their uses are. You should be able to find the answers you need there.

boywonder
06-08-2002, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by dnyhof

can anyone here rank the pads in terms of aggresiveness and what eaches specific uses are i.e. waxing, swirl removing, etc.

Gray = Finishing Pad (Used with SG)

Yellow = Cutting Pad

White = Polishing Pad (Used with SMR and/or AIO)