PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Wax and Sealants??

TerryAdams
06-07-2002, 05:44 AM
I would appreciate some input on whether its a good idea to apply a layer of Autoglym Extra Gloss Protector over a Meguiars GC wax? The paint condition of my car is relatively new, and in these parts of the world we dont have many of the products mentioned in the forum such as Klasse, Zainol, Pinnacle etc.

Since the air quality and pollution in the city here is quite bad shape, I wash my car everyday, and wax it about once a week with GC wax. I heard that to give better durability I can layer the GC coat with EGP, but one is wax and the other is sealant/polymer type product. Would the EGP destroy the wax layer? Any help is appreciated.

01 E46 325i Black

ALAN81
06-07-2002, 05:59 AM
you wash your car everyday WOW!!!!! IF was me I would only use GOLD CLASS every week and not top it off with anything.GOLDCLASS lasts about 3 weeks and it your waxing 1x a week it im sure the car will look good but thats my opinion

jerry@robs
06-07-2002, 06:30 AM
same here... at least 3x a week washing... dust galore...

i usually use 3 coats of polyglaze glide on glaze (yeah yeah... it`s really cheap and quite useful in our weather) then top it off with 2 layers of carnauba... might try liquid glass soon as my top coat (on top of the carnauba for extra gloss)

the polyglaze allows my paint to sheet off manila rainshowers for about a month before i re-clay and wax...

Lowejackson
06-07-2002, 07:37 AM
It might be better to use Autoglym Super Resin and then top with wax or the Extra Gloss. At least this way you have some protection from the Super Resin and the wax adds to the shine.

Having said that, I have no idea what happens if you top wax with the EG, maybe worth a try :nixweiss

The Autoglym Polish & Gloss will offer much greater protection than wax esp if your washing every day.

Steven

shaf
06-07-2002, 11:27 AM
I`d be inclined to think the EG won`t bond right on top of the GC, since GC is a carnauba wax and EG is a longer lasting synthetic (or at least, semi-synthetic). I look at usage of the Autoglym system (SRP then EG) like Klasse. That is, AIO=SRP, SG=EG. Too many acronyms! :p Anyway, like Klasse, you can`t apply the top protection (EG in this case) over any product that contains wax/oils.

I`m pretty sure I`ve heard of people doing it the other way though, topping EG with a wax (should be non-cleaner type though, like Blitz).

Lowejackson
06-07-2002, 12:00 PM
Yes you can top either SRP or EG with wax, works rather well.

Steven

TerryAdams
06-08-2002, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the responses guys. I just finished my weekly routine of coating the car with GC WAX. Gonna leave the car overnight under the porch and test out a section of Autoglym EGP first tomorrow morning and see the results *fingers crossed*

Cheers,

E46 325i Black