PDA

View Full Version : Another "Am I doing this right?" thread

Scott P
06-06-2002, 02:45 PM
I`ve been lurking on this forum for a few weeks now and have learned a lot. People would say I was picky and anal about my car, but I`m nothing compared to you wacky kids. I`ve been turned onto CMA and already have placed two orders. I`ve discovered the wonder of Micro Fiber and discovered a few new products to try once my Zaino supply runs out. (It`s going to be a while)

Anyways, I plan on starting my spring/summer Zaino-Fest tonight and through the weekend. I have a black 98 Grand Prix GT that has some nice swirl marks on it. It also has some water spots I`ve never been able to fully remove.

I`ve Z-5`d before, but it never really filled in all the swirls. I want to try an SMR, but am confused on which one to get. I need to find one I can get locally at an auto parts store. I plan on using an orbital buffer to apply it why doing the remaining Zaino by hand.

I can probably get my hands on any Meguiars products and probably some 3M stuff. I see Meg`s #7, #9 and the Gold Glass SMR, and then the 3M SMR for dark cars. Would one of those be best to help?

I have Dawn, Z-1, Z-2, Z-5, Z-6, Z-7 and Zaino clay in my arsenal along with a couple of MF applicators, towels and my newest love, the Viper Glass Cleaning Cloth. The only thing I may be missing is a good SMR.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Scott P

2wheelsx2
06-06-2002, 02:54 PM
I`ve used both #9 and 3M SMR for dark cars. In my opionion, the 3M is slightly more aggressive and is more effective for attacking more serious swirl problem. But either is effective and easy to use.

laynlow
06-06-2002, 03:45 PM
Z-2 will not fill in swirls. Z-5 is the correct choice for that task.

Scott P
06-06-2002, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by laynlow

Z-2 will not fill in swirls. Z-5 is the correct choice for that task.

I actually did know that, it was a mental slip on my part. I`ll edit the original post and correct it. Thanks for the heads up.

mikenomad57@hotmail.com
06-06-2002, 04:12 PM
Hey Scott, my car was pretty much new when I took it from the dealer in Dec 01. I applied Zaino in February. I had Meguiars 2.0 #9 and 3M SMR for dark cars. Even though my car was nearly new, Meguiars didn`t seem to do the job. It left oils for a good shine but didn`t remove the scratches/swirls that well. 3M SMR did a real good job on it though.

Good Luck.

:xyxthumbs

imported_BretFraz
06-06-2002, 06:41 PM
Just to add to the commentary, you can buy 3M Swirl Mark Remover from any NAPA auto parts store. I`ve also seen it at Pep Boys. They make a SMR for dark colored and light colored cars. No diff in performance, just a dye in the dark colored SMR.

A buffer will make the use of the SMR much easier and effective. Both Meguiar`s and 3M`s SMRs are optimized for buffer use but hand use is OK too.

Don`t forget to wash the car after SMRing to remove oils and residue which can prevent Z from bonding properly.

I did this very process a few weeks ago (SMR w/PC, wash, Z5, Z2). Takes awhile but worth the effort.

Good luck.:up

Scott P
06-07-2002, 07:51 AM
Thanks for all the help and advice on this. I figure I should be able to get it clayed, SMR`d and the first coat of Z-5 on tomorrow while in my Dad`s shop. In my driveway on Sunday, I might be able to get another coat of Z-2 and one of Z-5 since it will be near 80.

Then I get to let my car sit in the parking lot at my office for three days while I fly off to Minneapolis for work. Nothing like working hard to shine a car and then leaving it in a parking lot for a work trip.

Thanks again.

Scott P