PDA

View Full Version : Air compressor recommendations

couch16
06-06-2002, 11:42 AM
I`m going to buy an air compressor to serve the following functions:

- Drying the car (after I use the "Perfect Drying Technique" described elsewhere on this forum).

- Detailing the interior and engine bay.

- Adding air to the tires on my car and bicycle.

- Various other cleaning applications.

My questions are as follows:

How large a tank should I buy?

What kind of nozzle works best to help dry the car?

What brands are good?

Is there anything else I should consider?

Thanks in advance!

boarderx
06-06-2002, 12:10 PM
I don`t understand how you plan on using the compressor to dry the car. Could you explain that a bit more?

Redcar GUY
06-06-2002, 12:56 PM
I have this one, I use it for all the you said and also I use it for running all my air tools. I like it:)

http://www.sears.com/data/product_images/tools/large/00916527000-dlv.jpg

More info Here (http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summary/productsummary.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1715500385.102 3386016@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccgjadcfgggmgiecehgcemgdffmdfin.0&vertical=TOOL&fromAuto=YES&bidsite=&pid=00916527000)

couch16
06-06-2002, 12:56 PM
After I use the sheeting action described in the "Perfect Drying Technique" to remove 90% of the water, I plan on using the compressor to assist the remaining water beads to move towards the edge of the car.

Starting from the top, I`d blow the water beads towards the closest edge of the car. They`ll either fall off, be blow off, or rest along the bottom edge of the car.

Then I can use a MF towel to blot the remaining water from the surface.

I`d also like to use the compressor to blow water out of tight places such as behind the side mirrors, the cover over the gas cap, and in places it`s difficult to reach with a towel (such as the deep edges surrounding the trunk).

laynlow
06-06-2002, 01:37 PM
The Craftsman`s are good compressors. They are made by DeVilbiss who, last time I checked was also making Porter Cable compressors.

Go to Sears and join the Craftsman club. Once a month you will be entitled to 10% off any Craftsman product. If you can find a compressor onsale already, and then take 10% off that you can come out pretty good. Sears has been giving away a cheapie tool kit with some, that will serve the average user well. Now that I think about it, the club days may be running now, so call your local Sears and see!

boarderx
06-06-2002, 02:16 PM
How come I never thought about using my compressor to remove water from tight spots??? UGH! Of Course! That darn water in the mirrors is relentless.

I have the same compressor that RedCar Guy has. It works well for me. I use it mainly for my air tools, tires and cleaning my refridgerator! Boy do I love the air tools!

Originally posted by Tortuga

After I use the sheeting action described in the "Perfect Drying Technique" to remove 90% of the water, I plan on using the compressor to assist the remaining water beads to move towards the edge of the car.

Starting from the top, I`d blow the water beads towards the closest edge of the car. They`ll either fall off, be blow off, or rest along the bottom edge of the car.

Then I can use a MF towel to blot the remaining water from the surface.

I`d also like to use the compressor to blow water out of tight places such as behind the side mirrors, the cover over the gas cap, and in places it`s difficult to reach with a towel (such as the deep edges surrounding the trunk).

tom p.
06-06-2002, 02:30 PM
I picked up a 5hp 20 gallon Sears unit a couple of years ago for $250. Glad I did it. The wife couldn`t understand but waddaya gonna do?

I like having it for all sorts of uses. And you will probably be in the new tool acquisiton mode after purchasing it.:D

I have never tried drying the car with it. It spits out tiny bits of moisture even though I have a dryer on it. It seems like it would be useful for blowing water out of door jambs and cracks/crevices just prior to waxing.

I don`t like the noise it creates and probably don`t use it for as many things as I could due to the noise. I don`t know of any way around this.

For infrequent use, I think you need to get a dry cylinder (teflon rings) versus a compressor that is the oil bath style. The guy I purchased mine from was a compressor "expert" in his former life and was quite knowledgeable and got me set up properly right from the start.

I have also acquired a bunch of the quik disconnect fittings for all my hoses + tools. Those are very useful.

Good luck and may you find many unforseen uses for it!!:xyxthumbs

Chuck Gaura
06-09-2002, 12:15 AM
Just one thought...don`t get carried away with the air gun trying to blow every drop of water off of your car. If you do fall into this trap, you will most likely end up with water spots all over the finish.

Finishing Touch
06-09-2002, 08:04 AM
In the summer when it is hot and the humidity is high they put out some water which is usually mixed with oil. This is the regular oil bath compressor. The hoses get oily inside with a lot of use.

Kleanride
06-09-2002, 09:42 AM
Actually, I am in the same boat as you right now. I have a single stage compressor that I keep at my parents house (living in a apt now) that is really nice. 5 hp, 22 gallon vertical tank, hasn`t been made in years, but the thing rules! Now that my townhouse is almost done being built I want a compressor again, BUT the single stage is far too loud for a townhouse, so I am going to look at a 2-stage Craftsman one...40% quieter then a single stage-at least! Also, although they are kinda cheap, the Coleman Powermates are supposed to be pretty good. They are made in southern MN, and I have known some people that work for them that swear up and down by `em. I don`t think I could ever get one for detailing and maintenance that is under 20 gallons! Just my 2 cents! Also, check out the Coleman Powermate Power Bench, a work bench with a compressor built in. very practical, I think you can see it in the Craftsman mailer.

drd

Chuck Gaura
06-09-2002, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Dale DeSteno

Actually, I am in the same boat as you right now. I have a single stage compressor that I keep at my parents house (living in a apt now) that is really nice. 5 hp, 22 gallon vertical tank, hasn`t been made in years, but the thing rules! Now that my townhouse is almost done being built I want a compressor again, BUT the single stage is far too loud for a townhouse, so I am going to look at a 2-stage Craftsman one...40% quieter then a single stage-at least! Also, although they are kinda cheap, the Coleman Powermates are supposed to be pretty good. They are made in southern MN, and I have known some people that work for them that swear up and down by `em. I don`t think I could ever get one for detailing and maintenance that is under 20 gallons! Just my 2 cents! Also, check out the Coleman Powermate Power Bench, a work bench with a compressor built in. very practical, I think you can see it in the Craftsman mailer.

drd

I have a Coleman Powermate 21 gallon vertical single stage oil less compressor that I bought at Sam`s club. It was complete with tools for $279. I will say one thing, it`s loud! I did add an inline filter/water trap and it works fairly well. But when the humidity is really high, you still get just a bit of water vapor from the air gun.