PDA

View Full Version : California Duster for rust dust?

Taxlady
06-05-2002, 11:11 PM
I went into the parking garage to get my car and found that it was covered in rust dust. :eek: They had sanded the rust off of two of the steel I-beams and painted them. They are going to be doing the rest of the I-beams over the next few days. Is this something I would take off with a California Duster? Any precautions to take other than using it very lightly and carefully?

laynlow
06-05-2002, 11:19 PM
I would not take a chance with the cali duster removing particles you know to be metal! Rinse the car with plenty of water and then wash the affected areas. After that, perform the baggie test to determine if any areas might need to be re-clayed.

imported_Dude
06-06-2002, 11:27 AM
I would not chance it either. The Cali duster will absorb the rust particles and will scape them against your paint every time you use it to clean off regular dust.

jrush
06-06-2002, 11:53 AM
I would not take the rusd dust off with it either.

rd_volvo
06-07-2002, 05:21 PM
I would cover my car with cheapy clear painting drop cloths

or a car cover if you have.

If that rust is hot or if it gets wet it may damage your paintwork.

So park your car away from the beam work or cover it.

imported_Tony
06-07-2002, 05:46 PM
It would help if you could get your hands on an electric (filter type) blower to start. Last year for father`s day I got a shop vac that has a blower attachment. Oh man! Father`s day is coming. Well maybe he wants one and he just doesn`t know it.

boywonder
06-08-2002, 10:46 AM
I would not take a chance on using a Cali Duster on something like that. That would be akin to trying to brush off rail dust. You might want to consider doing a regular wash with Dawn and then clay the car to ensure that the rust dust did not contaminate the paint.

Taxlady
06-08-2002, 07:59 PM
Why do you recommend a Dawn wash? I did wash and clay the car. But, there was still that stupid dust in the air. So, more of it settled on the car. Would I be better off just leaving the car outside for a few days? The weather isn`t expected to be very hot or sunny for the next few days. They aren`t quite done. I just realized something. If it is still getting on the cars, then it is in the air and we`re breathing it. :eek: