PDA

View Full Version : Best towel for wax removal?

drewski59
06-05-2002, 05:19 PM
:wavey I was just wondering how different towels can affect the clarity and look of a wax/sealant:nixweiss

I just use NicSand MFs for removal of Zaino and QD`ing. They work just fine and don`t cost a lot!

But I`ve been looking at Griot`s 100% cotton cloths for wax removal. They look pretty nice.

Do they really make THAT much of a difference?

Any comments/recommendations??

2wheelsx2
06-05-2002, 05:30 PM
I personally didn`t have any problem with using cotton cloths for wax removal until I tried MF`s. The biggest difference -- no lint! I am currently using Neatitems. When I am done buffing off the wax (actually #20, not really a wax), I am done. When I used to use cotton towels, I would have to QD afterwards to get rid of lint and residue, but the MF`s pick up everything, so they save me a lot of time.

imported_Intermezzo
06-05-2002, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by drewski59

But I`ve been looking at Griot`s 100% cotton cloths for wax removal. They look pretty nice.

Do they really make THAT much of a difference?

Any comments/recommendations??

I`ve been itching to try those out myself, but wanted to hear what others had to say about it before making a purchase. While I like MF, I don`t like the extra care and attention they require. I`d rather just dump everything into one laundry load as well as not have to store towels separately. My list of MF peeves can go on and on. I`d bet the Griot`s polishing cloths would work especially well for quick detailing.

Pats300zx
06-05-2002, 06:35 PM
I had a bad experience with a set of the white Griots MF polishing towels. They linted like crazy. I sent them back and Griots sent me out a new set. FYI...

imported_Wes
06-05-2002, 07:08 PM
I used only 100% USA cotton towel for drying and Zaino QD/removal.

Occationally when drying there will be a few lint left on the surface which will blow away later. Never have lint problem with Z2 removal.

After you wash the towel for a few cycles they don`t lint anymore.

Top quality cotton towels helps in that regard.

Search archive for keywords like charisma/Wamsutta/Fieldcrest.

Btw I scored another gem from Ross: a JC Penny Masterpiece 100% Supima cotton bath towel for $5. This particular one is even better than the Wamsutta that I am using. I am so exicted that I went to JC Penny and compared with their stock and mine is better (Softer) then the 5-6 I compared.

Another reason to visit Ross often.

a4blur
06-05-2002, 07:13 PM
I`m lucky in that my wife is kind enough to make all my car cloths :D I use 100% cotton towels that have 100% cotton thread for wax removal, and buff with 100% cotton flannel.

Harry.

MikeLS
06-05-2002, 07:28 PM
I`ve used a lot of different toweling over the years, and I was satisfied with the premium Fieldcrests for quite a while, at least until I noticed very very slight marring when using them. I now find that the POLO towel and Noble Choice are even better, and leave my finish 99.9% swirl/spider free after a coat of Z polish. I think it`s pretty damned impressive that I`m able to keep my 10 year old daily driver completely swirl free. One of the best ways to do so is use high quality techniques and tools. So far these towels have exceeded my expectations and I love it! But, even with the best towels, poor technique can lead to disasters, so that`s every bit as important if not more so. There are several ways I limit my potential for swirls, but that`s another story saved for another day! ;)

If there are two words that anyone can remember when detailing, "high quality." There is no substitute for high quality technique and great product to back it up! Those two factors = SUCCESS!

:wavey

GP Infinity
06-05-2002, 07:57 PM
I have the Griots polish removal towels, I have Martha Stewart 100% cotton towels from KMart ( and its a good thing), and have just ordered some MF towels from JTInternational.. lets do a head to head comparison...

by the way, waffleweave is for drying, but is there a real difference in the use for terry and suede?

dboat:confused:

KEVO
06-06-2002, 09:42 AM
I only use Fieldcrest Charismas, edges removed, re sewn by me with a serger using all cotton thread, Zaino is not recommending MF at this time.

From www.zainobros.com

Zaino Bros` recommends using only Large Bath size 100% Made in USA White Cotton towels with all of our products. Cotton T-shirts are too small for polish removal and not as absorbent or fluffy as towels and most contain polyester. We have found that certain towels; especially those manufactured abroad, although they say 100% cotton. They are not; they include a blend of polyester and nylon that will definitely scratch and leave swirl marks in your paint finish. The rule of thumb is to use high quality Brand Name large bath towels (Cannon or Fieldcrest) that say 100% cotton and made in the USA. Towels sold in bags in Auto Stores are not 100% cotton. Look carefully on the bag it will probably say made in Pakistan or Bangladesh or other foreign country. Do not use these towels. They will cause swirl marks and scratches on the paint surface. Always, remove the stitching around the towel prior to use. Bargain store polish applicators also contain polyester and nylon fibers and are not to be used. Also, when washing your towels, please do not use any type of fabric softeners. Always use White towels. Do not use Colored Towels they contain dyes.

imported_Intermezzo
06-06-2002, 09:54 AM
Pats300zx, thanks for that bit of info!

Originally posted by Metallic Mike

I now find that the POLO towel and Noble Choice are even better, and leave my finish 99.9% swirl/spider free after a coat of Z polish.

Mike, my wife bought about 8 Ralph Lauren towels and they are the softest towels I have ever felt. I noticed that the softness in a bunch of Charisma towels I bought from a Z distributor doesn`t even come close to the softness and plushness of the Ralph Lauren towels. Too bad she won`t let me use even one for auto detailing!

TazmanSS
06-06-2002, 01:31 PM
One thing that Zaino doesn`t mention but should be noted is that all white towels are bleached.. look for cotton towels in "natural" for the softest.

KEVO
06-06-2002, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Gene Arch

One thing that Zaino doesn`t mention but should be noted is that all white towels are bleached.. look for cotton towels in "natural" for the softest.

Actually the white towels are fine, just give Sal a call and ask him.