PDA

View Full Version : Way too many swirls/scratches, should I sand clearcoat?!

volfan
06-05-2002, 03:53 PM
As I just said, I`ve got a boat load of scratches and swirls on my black Cobra. Most were there when I bought it, but I still want to remove them. It is the factory paint and clearcoat, about six years old. About 98% of them are clearcoat scratches, so does anyone know the best way to remove them. I`m not sure if it`ll be worth just polishing or buffing the car, b/c that doesn`t guarantee they`ll all come out (correct me if I`m wrong) Maybe I should just skip that part and have a proffesional sand the clearcoat, and then polish. Please give me any tips or ideas. Also, what does a typical clearcoat sand cost, and what materials should I use (3M, Meguiars?)

imported_Intel486
06-05-2002, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Envenomed

As I just said, I`ve got a boat load of scratches and swirls on my black Cobra. Most were there when I bought it, but I still want to remove them. It is the factory paint and clearcoat, about six years old. About 98% of them are clearcoat scratches, so does anyone know the best way to remove them. I`m not sure if it`ll be worth just polishing or buffing the car, b/c that doesn`t guarantee they`ll all come out (correct me if I`m wrong) Maybe I should just skip that part and have a proffesional sand the clearcoat, and then polish. Please give me any tips or ideas. Also, what does a typical clearcoat sand cost, and what materials should I use (3M, Meguiars?)

Sanding your clearcoat is something that can cause a lot of damage and should not be attempted by someone new to detailing. You`ll also have to have atleast a good dual-action buffer with a foam pad to buff the sandpaper marks out. You are also asking some pretty basic questions for someone wanting to sand scratches out.

I would find a professonal do it.

imported_fatboy
06-05-2002, 04:07 PM
you know, if you sand off you clearcoat, then you wont have anymore scratches on you clearcoat. you`ll just have scratches and swirls on your paint. but seriously, just use the SEARCH and youll find tons of info on getting rid of swirl marks. sanding, i believe, would not be the way to go.

imported_Intermezzo
06-05-2002, 04:15 PM
gb, while I certainly agree with what you just posted, I don`t think envenomed meant sanding off the clearcoat completely. I think he meant sanding off a thin layer off the top without going through the clear and then polishing out the sand-marks....sort of what dlw did to remove the orange peel from his Cherokee.

Intel, I agree with your post too....but I think he did mention having it professionally sanded when asking about it.

Envenomed...when deciding whether or not to have your car sanded, keep in mind that the majority of the UV inhibitors in your clear-coat are in the very top layers. Sanding will seriously compromise your clear-coat`s ability to prevent your paint from fading. You might be better off going the safe route.....find someone who has a lot of experience with a rotary...

Also, stay away from them Korean made MF towels! hehe j/k

imported_Intel486
06-05-2002, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Intermezzo

Intel, I agree with your post too....but I think he did mention having it professionally sanded when asking about it.

yhea I know. I was agreeing (sp?) with him on the fact that he should have it professionally done and gave him a reson why not to do it himself. I would be perfectly willing to give help if he wants to do it himself but he has to decide if he wants to take the risk.

thecarguyGP97
06-05-2002, 04:29 PM
What about some Perfect It II fine cut rubbing compound??

annapoal
06-05-2002, 04:32 PM
I`d put some effort into polishing with a PC before I did something that would effect the life expectancy of my entire paint job like sanding off a portion of the clear. If that doesn`t get the results you want then evaluate your next move, but as it gets said on here over and over, you should always start with the least abrasive solution.

imported_Intermezzo
06-05-2002, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Intel486

yhea I know. I was agreeing (sp?) with him on the fact that he should have it professionally done and gave him a reson why not to do it himself. I would be perfectly willing to give help if he wants to do it himself but he has to decide if he wants to take the risk.

Ah, I see!